--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "peterklutz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > --- anonymousff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> -- snip --
>
> > Nicely put. Any concept of "enlightened behavior" is
> > more a reflection of a cultural/psychological boundary
> > of the individual than some assessment of
> > enlightenment. By the way, I just realized, the term
> > "enlightened behavior" is an oxymoron. There is no
> > such thing as enlightened behavior. There's just
> > behavior, period.
> >

> In the BG MMY says at least two things that might be of guidance. The
> first is that an enlightened individual (another oxymoron..?) always
> acts to promote evolution. The second is that of the three gunas,
> enlightened people act under the influence of sattva.
>
> Given the press conference of lately I would venture a guess that one
> is always true but that two is a matter of choice - and then perhaps
> what the times require to promote the smoothest evolution possible for
> the cosmically assigned area of responsibility (the World, in MMY's
case).

> History has previously recorded enlightened people acting in manners
> that in effect made their physical bodies the focal point for
> collective bad karma. The Ultimate Sacrifice, I believe it's called
> when people who are not Self-realized passes through this particular
> experience.
>
> What is it called for someone who is enlightened, when a ripple aware
> of it's status as the Ocean levels out and in the process performs a
> yagya that resounds for millenia to come?

After years of listening and taking in all of the varying explanations
for varieities of understandings and behaviors I don't really believe
that anyone, Maharishi inlcuded, really knows what they are talking
about. He, like the rest of us, grew up with a worldview, was steeped
in one far diffeerent than the rest of us, and then came forth to
bring his worldview into ours. Like most business-entrprenreneur types
he could have been successful or not and he made the best use of his
contacts and particuarly the era of the late 60s without which, we may
still be practicing (to my delight) TM for 20 minutes twice per day
instead of the "no change in lifestyle or belief" total change in
lifestyle and belief being propagated.

Who is to say from the outside what actions are for the benefit of
individuals or the whole of mankind. We certainly have our
generationally conditioned beliefs that seem pretty deeply ingrained
in universal collective consciousness.

However, in the overall span of time, our era is but a small blip on
the screen and I am no longer willing to give someone such as
Maharishi the benefit of the doubt. At this point I can listen and
discern for myself and my life of experience  whether someone's
actions/teachings are just another plug for a self-serving
self-aggrandizing technique-system-fundraising scheme, etc.