I think absent any social codes, the difference in sexual promiscuity between
males and females comes down to consequences. Prior to birth control, if a
female had sex with a male, she could be literally burdened with offspring. Not
so for the male. Add in the greater physical strength of the male, and you have
all the seeds for the difference in attitudes.
"The Pill" greatly eliminated the risk factor of pregnancy, for women, and
certainly in the West, physical strength is no longer a guarantee of greater
economic power. So attitudes are changing too. Regarding the 60's, I saw a lot
of sexual expression, but also a lot of conventional sex roles between men and
women, simply dressed up in strange clothing and fashion.