 Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Death Watch
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Date: Friday, January 24, 2014, 7:58 AM

 Excellent story, Michael, and
 beautifully told. You bring back to me so many memories of
 childhood in the South, and the strangely mannered (but
 comforting) ways that people acted there. Your descriptions
 of the people, always including who they're related to
 the way that people in the South always do, are great, as
 are your descriptions of the food.

 Sometimes the only way we can "come to terms" with
 disturbing but formative experiences like this is to try to
 tell the story, as best we can. I think that's what made
 Garrison Keillor so good at what he did...he was a great
 storyteller, and you could tell that much of what he related
 on "Prairie Home Companion" were tales from *his*
 life, told as a way of not only sharing them with others,
 but coming to peace with them himself.

 Very nice. Deep bow.

 --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson
 wrote:

 > I have told some funny stories, all true, here on FFL.
 This one is not so funny, but nonetheless still true. This
 happened when I was about six years old. And it was, and
 still stands today as a strange experience. It was one of my
 first experiences of death.

 > I suppose I might have at that time experienced the
 death of a pet, but I don't remember it. So maybe I was
 unprepared for death, not having had much experience of it,
 but I had never seen nor heard of a death watch.

 > My great, great Aunt Ola was dying. I don't know
 what she was dying of, but she damn sure didn't want to
 go. And all her kin people were there, watching, waiting for
 her to die. (Most everyone I knew then called her
 "ain't Oler" or if she wasn't their aunt,
 then they just called her Oler, rhymes with roller.)

 > Ola and her husband lived near a town in North Carolina
 called Marshville. Marshville would become known as the
 birthplace of Randy Travis and parts of the Steven Spielberg
 film The Color Purple would be filmed there 35 or so years
 in the future, but all Marshville meant to me was the place
 we went to see my great grandmother, and this time to watch
 Aunt Ola die.

 > The community was not named Marshville because some
 enterprising fools had drained a swamp to build the town,
 but rather for a couple of wealthy benefactors named Marsh
 who donated a good deal of land for a community center and a
 couple churches back around the beginning of the 20th
 century. It had once been a champion area for cotton in the
 pre and post Civil war days, and still was devoted to
 agriculture here in the early 1960's. Many of my kin in
 the area were farmers of one sort or another.

 > It wasn't my intention to watch Aunt Ola die, but
 like all kids have to, I had to do what my folks told me to
 do. So I found myself wandering around in a very large old A
 frame house watching all the adults behave in as strange a
 fashion as I had ever witnessed.

 > This old house had been the nexus of many a happy
 gathering and many a country Sunday meal, but now it was
 serving as hospice. Aunt Ola was pretty old, and it seemed
 the entire family had gathered to watch her die.

 > Ola Little, my mother's great aunt had been married
 for years to Lee Hill, but he had been dead for some years
 by the time his wife seemed destined to join him in the
 afterlife. All her kids should have been by her side,
 watching her go to her reward, but some were absent. For one
 thing, she and her daughter Velma had fallen out over the
 land upon which we were standing at that moment and over the
 house Ola was dying in.

 > Daughter Gladys had taken care of her momma for some
 years at this time and was slated to receive the house and
 farm in Ola's will, which is why Gladys and Velma
 didn't get along, and the reason Velma and husband Dusty
 weren't there at the death watch. They did not in fact
 even attend the funeral.

 > The other kids may have been there, but I really
 didn't know who they were. All my great aunts and Uncles
 were there. Brice and Cara-Lou (that we all pronounced
 Carry-Lou), drunkard con artist Cecil and his enabling wife
 Marge, philandering drunk L.W. and his gorgeous wife Fay,
 upright Hoyle who made a living running a tobacco vending
 route servicing the cigarette needs of the community through
 the cigarette vending machines that were ubiquitous in those
 days and his wife Ruth, Farmer Buren who always wore a tie
 or bow tie and raised gigantic hogs on a nearby farm and his
 wife Ethel.

 > I don't remember but I reckon GT and Lilly were
 there too, GT being Ola's brother and Lilly his wife. I
 remember them because in later days Randy Travis would talk
 in interviews about going to GT's little general store
 when he was growing up, and after he became a famous country
 musician, he would always go visit with GT and Lilly
 whenever he went back home to the Marshville area, even
 after GT retired and gave up the store.

 > The largest room in the house, the living room, had
 been converted to the death watch area. All the furniture
 had been removed and chairs, many of them provided by the
 local funeral home I reckon, had been placed all the way
 around the room against the walls so folks would have a
 place to set as they watched Ola kick the bucket.

 > The room had a large fireplace with mantel in the
 center of one wall, and the way it was built as you faced
 it, there was sort of an alcove or inset just to the left of
 the fireplace and that was the place Ola's bed had been
 put. If you were on the far wall looking towards Ola with
 the fireplace on your right, you would not be able to see
 her face, unless you were standing pretty far down the wall,
 you could just see her torso and legs and feet under the
 covers.

 > Of course if you were standing directly facing the
 fireplace, you could see her just fine and if you stepped
 over to the part of the room where she was, the part leading
 into the kitchen, you could see her fine there too, cause
 you were on her side of the room.

 > The chairs had not been placed right next to her bed,
 so she had a little space around her. I suspect this was not
 done for her ease and comfort, given the fact she had been
 put on display for her death throes to be observed by all
 and sundry, but rather for the comfort of friends and kin
 folk who had come to see her so they wouldn’t have to
 set right next to somebody dying. That would have been too
 uncomfortable.

 > I bet if you had asked her kin why they made the
 decision to let everyone watch her die right there in the
 middle of the living room like that they might have said it
 was because they didn't want a constant stream of folks
 going in and out of her room disturbing her, when they came
 over to pay respects, and the place was damn shore full of
 kin and friends who were doing just that that. At least
 that's what they would likely have said about it, but as
 a six year old kid, it didn't look much like respect to
 me. Mostly what the grownups were doing was ignoring Ola.

 > It seemed every chair was accounted for, and the
 relatives and friends were all talking very quietly to one
 another as Ola lay apparently sleeping. But if she was
 sleeping, it was not a very restful sleep, for at
 unpredictable intervals Ola would begin to moan and cry
 out.

 > "No, no don't take me Jesus! No, please
 don't take me now, I'm not ready to go yet!"
 > Ola would shout aloud, surprisingly loud for a five
 foot tall woman who might have weighed maybe 90 pounds.

 > "No don't take me Jesus, don't a make me
 die now! I'm not ready! I don't wanna die now!"

 > These pleas for life were accompanied by a good deal of
 thrashing. Her arms and legs churned under the covers as she
 flailed around from side to side. Had the covers not been
 there her gyrations would certainly have landed her on the
 floor, but the covers kept her firmly nailed into the bed.

 > Each time Aunt Ola would begin to plead for her life,
 the quietly murmured conversations around the room
 immediately dried up. Everyone clammed up. Yet no one ever
 the entire time we were there got up to check on Ola. No one
 went to hold her hand, or talk to her, no comfort, no words
 of kindness or encouragement. No one wiped her brow, or
 asked if she needed water, nothing. Maybe they did when I
 wasn't looking, but they sure as hell didn't when
 she went to thrashing around, not when I was there.

 > What the adults in the very large death watch room
 would do when Ola went to thrashing and praying for life was
 to get quiet and look around.  They would look at the floor,
 the ceiling, they would look out the window, anywhere but
 directly at Ola. They would look at each other too, but not
 directly. They would kind of cast glances at each other out
 of the sides of their eyes and then look at the floor again,
 but no direct looks at each other.

 > I had no idea why they avoided looking at her or each
 other. I reckon they thought death might come for them if
 they looked at or made connection with Ola, and if they
 looked at each other whilst she was thrashing around, they
 might have to talk about her thrashing and impending death,
 and they didn't want to do anything so extreme.

 > Not even the preacher was there to offer her comfort.
 He might have come before momma and I and my siblings
 arrived, but if so I didn't know about it. The preacher
 never showed up when I was there, if he had I would have
 spotted him immediately. A man like preacher Baucom was hard
 to forget.

 > I saw preacher Baucom many a time at the Cross Roads
 Baptist church, the church great grandma, aunt Ola and
 virtually everyone on the death watch attended. We would
 always have to go to preaching at Crossroads Baptist Church
 when we went to see grandma in Marshville.

 > Time spent in any church was generally a tiresome thing
 for me, but not the visits I was forced to make to the
 Crossroads Baptist Church. Watching Preacher Baucom was a
 sight to behold because that man shore could preach. I was
 kind of fascinated with Preacher Baucom and his preaching
 style because there was nobody like him in the Methodist
 churches I attended back home.

 > Preacher Baucome was of middling height, with whip cord
 muscles for he was a part time farmer in addition to being a
 full time Baptist preacher. His head was bald as an egg and
 his head and all the rest of him you could see in summer
 time when he wore white cotton short-sleeve shirts was as
 brown as an acorn from all the time he spent in his farm
 fields, planting, plowing and such as that.

 > Preacher Baucom would begin his sermons sedately
 enough, but pretty soon his subject matter began to animate
 him, and the motions would begin. At first he would gesture
 with his hands, often letting them both float out to the
 sides and above his head as he denounced various forms of
 sin. He was a bona fide hell fire and brimstone preacher and
 he let it all out at every sermon I ever heard him preach.

 > His hands would whip this way and that, and when he
 lifted his hands out to the sides making his robes billow
 out, he looked like some enormous nut brown bald headed
 avenging angel bat, come to earth to hunt down sinners and
 make 'em know they had done wrong and were going to pay
 for it one day soon to come.

 > He would stride from side to side in the pulpit, waving
 his arms and shouting. When he came back to center behind
 the podium he would slam his clenched fist on the wood,
 sometimes literally pounding the Bible itself as he hammered
 home a point about the wages of sin, that being the Lake of
 Fire all sinners would be thrown into come Judgment Day at
 the end of times. And he was very, very vocal about what
 kinds of sin he thought people in the Marshville community
 were committing.

 > He preached against most every kind of sin there was,
 but he particularly railed against fornication, lying,
 cheating, stealing and drinking moonshine whiskey. He vowed
 during his sermons that there were people right there in
 that church who were doing all those things.

 > The vast majority of his parishioners were well into
 their seventh and eight decade of life and I doubt a one of
 them had committed sins like that anytime in the last twenty
 years except maybe the moonshine sin, but preacher Baucom
 preached like there was no tomorrow, and according to him
 there would be no tomorrow in the afterlife for folks who
 sinned the way he claimed we were all sinning.

 > As the sermon went on he moved more and more. As he
 shouted and strode back and forth in front of the
 congregation, sweat would pour off his bald head, staining
 his black robes, but he didn't care, he had sinners to
 save.

 > As I would sit there watching the show I was stunned
 and fascinated in a bizarre sort of way, for in my young
 mind I felt like I was watching something I really
 shouldn't be watching but it was too entertaining to
 turn away from. I cannot remember a single sermon from
 Preacher Baucom that had anything to do with anything other
 than sin, and the old folks who were his church members
 lapped it up like a starving hound would lap up a bowl of
 beef stew if you put it on the floor where they could get at
 it.

 > After each sermon as the choir sang and the piano
 player jangled out the closing hymn on the old out of tune
 piano, Preacher Baucom walked purposefully down the center
 aisle to stand as guardian of the church entrance.

 > As the notes of the last song died down, people began
 rising from the pews and collected their belongings to form
 a line down the  aisles to exit the church through the front
 doors. This pathway led everyone to pass before the preacher
 who was waiting to shake their hands and pass a word or two
 with them. I figured he was watching to see which sinner was
 the worst and he would jump on them and wrassle 'em down
 right then and there but it never happened.

 > I also thought one or two of those farmers or their
 wives might take issue with the preacher for accusing them
 of fornication and other heinous sins. I was always kind of
 waiting for that to happen after the sermon, but time after
 time when those old folks made it to the front door they
 would grasp the preacher's hand and slobber all over him
 for what a fine preacher he was.

 > "Oh, Preacher! That was a wonderful sermon, just
 wonderful! We are so lucky to have you here with us!"
 my great grandmother and plenty of others would say.

 > This was the part of the whole experience that really
 freaked me out, because in my mind Preacher Baucom had spent
 the last forty minutes or so denouncing all of us and people
 seemed to just love it. But there was no Preacher Baucom at
 Aunt Ola's death watch, just a house full of people
 acting like she was already a ghost.

 > This odd behavior put me off my feed. As a scrawny kid
 who was always hungry, I should have been inhaling the
 vittles that filled Ola's kitchen. Much like a family
 reunion where everyone brought homemade food, the
 traditional Southern proprieties were being maintained.
 Normally in the South, when someone died, all the visitors
 who came by the house would bring a cake, or a pie, or some
 fried chicken. This was not yet a funeral, but I guess folks
 knew the family would not be so keen on making food, being
 burdened by the weight of Ola's impending death, though
 from the attention they paid her they might as well have
 been making biscuits and gravy.

 > I wandered into the kitchen from time to time, and the
 place was laden with a mighty array of food, some of which I
 only got once in a blue moon. There were chocolate cakes,
 there were apple pies, sweet potato pies, lemon pound cakes,
 and brownies. There was meat loaf, fried chicken, macaroni
 and cheese, yeast rolls, sandwiches, pickles, and so much
 more. But none of it really appealed to me as I was feeling
 the weird vibes in the place and trying to ignore them.

 > Even in the kitchen I could hear the imprecations of
 Ola to Jesus, her Lord and Master. "No, Jesus, no! Help
 me Jesus! Please don't take me now Jesus, I'm not
 ready to go! Please don't kill me Jesus!"
 > Evidently Jesus didn't answer her, because she kept
 shouting about it from time to time as day wore into
 evening. At no time as I wandered around the house and
 outside too, did I ever hear any of the adults talk about
 Ola and her death to be.

 > They talked about the weather, about the crops, about
 the kin folk who were not there. They talked about those who
 had passed on like Beecher, Uncle Bud and Aunt Lee Ola's
 boy who had died 30 years earlier when a saw he and his
 brothers and their daddy had been running a big saw cutting
 wood out in front of their farm house, when the saw broke
 and the blade tore loose from the saw and cut Beecher half
 in two right in front of his daddy and siblings. It must
 have been a mighty saw.

 > They talked about everything other than Ola's death
 throes which were prolonged and evidently not to be
 discussed. The evening dragged on and even as a six year
 old, I knew this was not a thing that was normal or good for
 me on some level. Finally as night deepened, Momma took me,
 brother and sister back to grandma's house to spend the
 night. Jesus apparently was willing to acquiesce to
 Ola's pleas until we left her house, because sometime in
 the night, Ola gave her last gasp and Jesus snatched her up
 and out of her body.

 > Three days later the kin folk planted her in the
 cemetery at Crossroads Baptist Church. The three day turn
 around was the traditional time for burying someone after
 death in the South. The origins of that timeframe go back to
 the days before embalming in the South, it was simply a
 matter of health and esthetics since a human body begins to
 smell pretty bad three days after demise.

 > And since the kin were mostly present when she died,
 there was no need to wait for folks to see her obit in the
 local paper so she was buried and Preacher Baucom delivered
 the eulogy. Since he was not preaching a sermon, he was calm
 and relatively sedate in his delivery. He didn't even
 mention the Lake of Fire as he gave Ola her final send off.
 As the service concluded, and the gravediggers lowered the
 casket in the grave the family began to straggle off to
 waiting cars and we made our way out of the cemetary.

 > From the church we rode back to Grandma's as
 everyone spoke very well of departed Ola and we had a meal,
 I don't remember what it was, but I expect it had some
 pork in it somewhere. The next day we piled into the white
 Plymouth Suburban Station wagon we had come in and began the
 drive back home to South Carolina.

 > I was pretty quiet, turning the events at Aunt
 Ola's home over in my mind, still wondering why no one
 had sat with her, or talked to her when she was pleading
 with Jesus not to kill her yet.

 > I never did make peace with that experience, I just
 walled it off in my mind and tried to forget it. Most
 everyone who was in that room that day is dead now
 themselves. One of my great aunts, Fay claims she
 doesn't remember the event at all, and my mother says
 she remembers the death watch but can't recall the
 reason no one tended to Ola that day. She thinks that it
 just wasn't done back then, but she's not sure. It
 was fifty years ago now and its hard to remember such
 details.

 > There would be other visits to Marshville to see
 Grandma, with platters of her fried apple pies and ice cold
 milk, but that death watch visit was by far the strangest
 thing I ever experienced in my youth, and Marshville was
 never the same for me after that.