Rajaram Mishra, later to become Swami Brahmananda Saraswati, was born on
Thursday, 20 December, 1868 in village Gana, which is close to the city of
Ayodhya, in North India. He was enrolled at the Sanskrit Institute at Kashi
at the age of eight and later became a student of Swami Krishnanand
Saraswati of Utter Kashi.

[image: Inline image 1]
Our Guiding Light
One Endowed With Wealth
The Jagadguru Shankaracharya
Sri Swami Brahmananda Saraswati Maharaj of Jyotir Math
with all blessings from him both great and small

Shankaracharya Brahmananda Saraswati
http://youtu.be/5m77xHLoiHI

He took the renounced order and became Chaitanya Brahmachari. He was well
known and often referred to as 'Guru Dev'. By the age of twenty-five, it is
said that Chaitanya had become fully established in Unity Consciousness and
had completed a full study of the Scriptures. At the turn of the century,
at age 34, at the Khumbha Mela at Allahahabad, Chaitanya was ordained by
his master into the order of Sanyas, thus becoming Sri Swami Brahmananda
Saraswati, and recieved the insignia of the Holy Tradition of Sri Adi
Shankaracharya.

On Tuesday, 1 April 1941, at the age of 72, Swami Brahmananda Saraswati was
invested, with traditional rites, as the Shankaracharya of Jyotirmath,
Badrikashram, Himalayas, and given the title Jagadguru Maharaj.

[image: Inline image 2]

Swami Brahmananda Saraswati

Excerpt from Rocks Are Melting:

'We are told the"yoga" of stopping the fluctuations of consciousness The
ultimate aim is this, that by the practice of having stopped the
fluctuations of the inner self, to experience the Supreme form of the Self.
Calm without a wave in any part of the pool of water, that manner a person
can see his own face. That really is the method, stopping  the fluctuations
of the consciousness is really giving a clear reflection of the
imperishable Self in the instrument of inner vision. This indeed is
"darshan" (sight) of "atma" (self or soul).' - Shankaracharya Swami
Brahmananda Saraswati

Excerpt from Living With the Himalayan Masters:

"He used to live only on germinated gram seeds mixed with a little bit of
salt. He lived on a hillock in a small natural cave near a mountain pool. I
was led by the villagers to that place, but I did not find anyone there and
became disappointed. The next day I went again, and found a few footprints
on the edge of the pool made by his wooden sandals. I tried, but I could
not track the footprints.

Finally on the fifth day of effort, early in the morning before sunrise, I
went back to the pool and found him taking a bath. I greeted him saying,
"Namo Narayan," which is a commonly used salutation among swamis, meaning
"I bow to the divinity in you." He was observing silence, so he motioned
for me to follow him to his small cave, and I did so gladly. This was the
eighth day of his silence, and after staying the night with him he broke
his silence and I gently spoke to him about the purpose of my visit. I
wanted to know how he was living and the ways and methods of his spiritual
practices.

During our conversation he started talking to me about Sri Vidya, the
highest of paths, followed only by accomplished Sanskrit scholars of India.
It is a path which joins raja yoga, kundalini yoga, bhakti yoga, and
advaita Vedanta. There are two books recommended by the teachers of this
path:

The Wave of Bliss and The Wave of Beauty; the compilation of the two books
is called Saundaryalahari in Sanskrit. There is another part of this
literature, called Prayoga Shastra, which is in manuscript form and found
only in the Mysore and Baroda libraries. No scholar can understand these
spiritual yoga poems without the help of a competent teacher who himself
practices these teachings.

Later on I found that Sri Vidya and Madhu Vidya are spiritual practices
known to a very few-only ten to twelve people in all of India. I became
interested in knowing this science, and whatever little I have today is
because of it. In this science the body is seen as a temple and the inner
dweller, Atman, as God.

A human being is like a miniature universe, and by understanding this, one
can understand the whole of the universe and ultimately realize the
absolute One. Finally, after studying many scriptures and learning various
paths, my master helped me in choosing to practice the way of Sri Vidya." -
Swami Rama

Works cited:

'Rocks Are Melting: The Everyday Teachings of Brahmananda Saraswati' (Draft)
by L.B. Shriver
5/9/2003
http://bruceji.org/gurudev.html

"Living With the Himalayan Masters"
by Swami Rama
Himalayan Institute Press, 1999
pp. 245-247

Read more:

'The Mystics, Ascetics,and Saints of India'
by John Campbell Oman
Unwin, 1905

'A Tradition of Teachers'
Sankaracharya and the Jagadgurus Today
by William Cenkner, Ph.D.
South Asia Books, 1986

Notes:

According to Mason, Swami Brahmananda Saraswati (20 December 1868 – 20 May
1953) was the Shankaracharya of the Jyotir Math monastery in India from
1941-53.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmananda_Saraswati

Birthdate of Shankaracharya Swami Brahmanand Saraswati
by Paul Mason
http://www.paulmason.info/gurudev/GuruDevbirthdate.htm

Maharaj Shri, Rajaram Mishra, was born on Thursday, December 21, 1870. in
village Gana, near Ayodhya. [1]

On Sunday, 20 December 1868 in the village of Gana close to Ayodhya,
Rajaram Mishra was born. [2]

Several different accounts agree that Guru Dev was born on Thursday, which
was the 21st. December 29th 1868 was Sunday. [3]

He was born on the 20th December 1868, but his hour of nativity claimed him
for the recluse order and for that of the secular. (4)

 At age fourteen he became a disciple of Swami Krishnananda Saraswati. (5)

1. "Maharishi: The Biography"
By Paul Mason
Element 1997
Barnes and Noble
A Critical Review of the man who brought TM to the West.
p. 5

2. "The Whole Thing The Real Thing"
By Rameshwar Tiwari
Delhi 1977
The Biography of Sri Swami Brahmananda Saraswati, Shankacharya of
Jyotirmath.
Hardback. Illustrated.
p. 11

3. "Our Spiritual Heritage"
By Lynn D. Napper
Hesperides Books, 1998
An informal history of the Shankacharya Tradition by an early adopter of TM,
TTC 1968.
Paper. Illustrated. Bibliography.
p. 99

4. "Love and God"
By Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
SRM Publications, Oslo Norway 1965
Official Biography of Guru Dev by Maharishi - 'Our Guiding Light'
pp. 5-9

5. "Strange Facts About a Great Saint"
By Raj P. Varma
Jabalpur, India 1980