OK, this is officially one of the coolest and oddest things I've run
across in quite some time:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/27/edge-of-minecraft_n_4676047.htm\
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/27/edge-of-minecraft_n_4676047.ht\
ml>

A guy named Kurt J. Mac has been doing a "walk for charity" for the last
three years, and raising a shitload of money for a cool group called
Child's Play in the process. And he's not just walking, he's
*exploring*, traversing never-before-seen and uncharted territory, and
blogging about it (complete with visuals) on a YouTube channel that now
has over 300,000 subscribers.

His goal is to walk to the edge of the known universe. So far he's only
walked 700 kilometers, and math nerds have calculated that at his
current pace, it'll take him 22 years to get to his destination, but
this doesn't bother him because for him the journey is more important
than the arriving. I can identify; the frontispiece for Road Trip Mind
was this quote from Lao-tzu:

A good traveler has no fixed plans
and is not intent upon arriving

And the cool thing is that all of this is virtual. The end of the
universe that Kurt is trying to reach is called the Far Lands, and it
exists -- if, in fact it exists at all -- inside a computer game called
Minecraft.

Read the article. This man's journey is a virtual throwback to the days
of intrepid adventurers walking the earth, like Caine in Kung-fu, only
in cyberspace.

Yes, it's folly. But it's "controlled folly," in the Castanedan sense,
and the payoff from his YouTube blog has enabled him to quit his day job
and continue exploring full-time. Go figure. I mean, really...go figure.
Le monde est fou, fou, fou...mais merveilleux.