A study in time, flexibility and initiative.

[image: Inline image 1]

Martial Ats instructor Kam Yuen

Kam Yuen on practice and thinking:
http://youtu.be/_W_D_UsLqNs

Most people, when they think of martial arts think of physical force and
how it might be used to overwhelm opponents. In meeting the needs of
practical people for a strong system of invincibility, "TM" is second to
none. With the inner focus of meditation it is often possible to avoid not
only violence but the kinds of self-defeat that arises out of our inability
to manage the impact of stresses such as fatigue, fear, and pain. While you
may never engage someone who intends to harm you physically, you won't be
able to escape the stresses that follow in the wake of active living.

Countless generations of martial artists in China, Japan, and India have
been attracted to the concept of energy, inner stillness, and the certainty
that goes with it. There have been many who have drawn deep spiritual
lessons from a vocational relationship with danger; living with the
knowledge that one may soon die may well induce the most profound
self-examination of which humans are capable.

According to Sensei Randal Bassett, "The path to self-power is more than a
quest for bodily survival; it is the quest for identity and authentic free
will."

To the extent that a man lacks self-power, that is, to the extent that he
cannot dictate the contents of his own mind, to that extent he will
manufacture threats where none existed. Bassett notes that it is rare that
human beings are overwhelmed by hopelessly powerful objective forces, and
that in the vast majority of personal disasters it is we ourselves who
prove to be our own undoing.

If you are going to achieve consistent, meaningful results in your quest
for self-culture, you are going to have to cultivate a series of
specialized habits, for habits are the only things you can count on
retaining in the face of strong resistance. Get the right mental habits,
cultivate physical culture, and nothing can stop your progress toward
enlightenment.

The first and most basic of all martial arts psychological defenses is
meditation, the object of which is to gain the skill necessary to remain
calm in the face of threat; the result is an ability to keep attention from
being broken in the face of heavy stress. The fundamental goal of such
mental technique is to avoid the kinds of self-defeating actions that tend
to occur once you lose a sharp awareness of essential objectives, a common
pitfall of all high-pressure situations.

"We have a way," observes Bassett, "of not realizing what is occurring
within our own minds in moments of heavy stress; and this helps to explain
why we so often tend to yield to irrational responses in the face of threat

In a sense we all meditate but we do this is a random fashion and not all
systematically. Being able to meditate is a matter of forming a specialized
habit, a mental mechanism that will work for you automatically and
dependably even in adversity.

Bassett also says, "Nothing is more self-defeating than to allow vanity to
influence one's actions under heavy pressure, and one of the best ways to
check such vanity is to never compete with anyone but yourself."

According to Bassett, the idea that we as humans are "creatures who
consciously control ourselves" is largely a myth. It might well be argued
that we're characterized as much by our lack of control as by our control.

Most people are able to exert full conscious control over their mind
content for less than a fraction of a second during waking hours. In short,
active attention yields to preoccupation. Difficulties begin when we can't
control preoccupation, even when it is vitally important to do so.

And yet, this is exactly what happens in threatening situations; at the
moment when we need to bring forth our full conscious attention, and fix
its brilliance upon one point, we have trouble doing so. There is nothing
surprising in this, if preoccupation is viewed for what it is: a kind of
first cousin of sleep - sleep being a form of total preoccupation within
the realm of the unconscious.

Shakya the Muni, the historical Buddha, was a master of the martial arts,
and the founder of the dhyana scool in India - he testified countless times
to the difficulty involved in gaining habit-level skill, or mindfulness.

In many respects there is no greater threat than stress, and the resistance
of your own mental inertia. In meditation self-defense, the will is
considered to be a manifestation of strength or of wakefulness.

In thinking that we possess powers of attention that we don't in fact have,
we tend to overlook the actual mental capabilities that we do command.
Bodhidharma, the founder of the chan school in China, a Master who
apparently originated "kung fu" in his spare time, was emphatic in warning
his students to avoid reliance upon concepts, mere words, and theological
speculation.

It is an almost innate propensity of the human mind to equate smallness
with insignificance. This propensity induces us to believe that nothing of
real value may be gained from learning to work with spans of attention
whose duration tends to be quite small. Thus without realizing it, we come
to overlook one of the most basic principles:

The capacity to exert absolute attention at critical moments can succeed in
turning even the span of a fraction of a second into an event of immense
personal significance. Self defense is a study in time, for time is
freedom, flexibility, and initiative.

Work cited:

'Zen Karate'
by Randall Bassett
Warner Books, 1975
Paper. 238 p. Illustrated with 161 line drawings.

General references:

'Zen Buddhism: A History, India & China' (Volume 1)
by Heinrich Dumoulin
Macmillan, 1988

'Barefoot Zen: The Shaolin Roots of Kung Fu and Karate'
by Nathan Johnson
Weiser, 2000

'The Bodhisattva Warriors: The Origin, Inner Philosophy, History and
Symbolism of the Buddhist Martial Art Within India and China'
by Shifu Nagaboshi Tomio
Weiser, 1994

'The Shaolin Monastery: History, Religion, and the Chinese Martial Arts'
by Meir Shahar
Univ of Hawaii Press, 2008