There's a fundamental mystery at the core of our evolution. No, it's not how we
went from fuzzy shrews to humans — it's how bacteria made the jump from
single-celled existence to something more complex. The weird part is that
evolutionary jump only happened once.
 Over at Nautilus
http://nautil.us/issue/10/mergers--acquisitions/the-unique-merger-that-made-you-and-ewe-and-yew,
 Ed Yong has a terrific essay about that moment, roughly 2 billion years ago,
when bacteria made an incredible evolutionary leap. It put them on a path that
eventually led to the evolution of complex, multicellular animals like us. But
how the hell did it happen.
 Yong writes about a new theory that could shed light on the most important
missing link in our history as animals. Here's how he starts:

http://io9.com/the-most-important-moment-in-the-evolution-of-life-1517890220?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow