Interesting how you can see the security beliefs in the article that Jason (I
think) posted about Hameroff's ideas about quantum consciousness. Quanta have
really become the get out clause of the modern world, probably because it's not
well understood and is often a bit weird. It's no excuse for bad science though
and the claims made for Penroses ideas are being stretched way beyond what he
was originally trying to prove. And by one of the authors! Does it make me more
likely to believe it? No, I think that everyone has the desire to live forever,
it's buried deep down but it might be tricky getting going in the morning
without it.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote:

 SECURITY BELIEFS

 Some of us may recall the author Arthur C. Clarke's three laws of prediction:

 When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible,
he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he
is very probably wrong.
 The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little
way past them into the impossible.

 These 'laws' apply to scientific advancement.

 In the field of human psychology, there are a set of statements made by
another author, Isaac Asimov, which refer to beliefs we humans invoke in order
to feel 'safer', beliefs that reduce cognitive dissonance when what we think
and how we act does not seem to be approved of by the world world around us.
These beliefs tend to be rampant in spiritual circles, where belief dominates
rather than simple observation and direct experience, the latter two always
seemingly to be somewhat in short supply.

 Azimov called these six items 'security beliefs'. In the spirit of modesty
(rather atypical for Azimov), he suggested the reader could supply a seventh,
if one could be thought of. Because of their prevalence however, one might
think of these items as laws. These beliefs and their descriptions are not
really laws, just as Clarke's 'laws' are not really laws, they are just simple
observations about human behaviour and human responses to situations, but
because they are so prevalent, they might be accorded informal status as 'laws'
of human behaviour.

 Azimov's Security Beliefs:

 There exist supernatural forces that can be cajoled or forced into protecting
mankind.
 There is no such thing, really, as death.
 There is some purpose to the Universe.
 Individuals have special powers that will enable them to get something for
nothing.
 You are better than the next fellow.
 If anything goes wrong, it's not one's own fault.

 I found these in a book titled 'Magic', a collection of stories and essays
published not long after Asimov's death. Asimov was one of the most prolific
authors of the 20th century, having written or edited more than 500 books, and
an equally large number of short stories and essays. Assuming his professional
writing career began about 1940, that comes to nearly ten books a year, not
including the other material.

 As you can gander from the 'security beliefs', they seem to apply in full
force to our group of miscreants here on FFL. I have certainly fallen into
their grip at one time or another in my life, and am still probably not free of
them - yet - although if number two is false, there's hope.

 One way to look at these is if they are not true, then their opposites are
what is true, and they would be laws of the Universe.