Agreed. Excellent post.

________________________________
 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2014 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] RE: Quote of the day...

TTFN and thanks for another super post.

I'm sure the argument will range here for another thousand years.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote:

If classical theism refers to god characterized as an/the absolutely
metaphysically ultimate being having,

>>simplicity
>>is all knowing
>>is all powerful
>>is all good
>>is ultimate reality
>>is transcendent
>>is incorporeal
>>is timeless
>>is infinite
>>is all intelligent
>>

>>This all sounds very grand, but it does not explain how simplicity can create
>>complexity, does not explain why something that is separate from non-ultimate
>>reality (the non-transcendent world) can interact with the non-transcendent
>>world, and does not explain how that which is all knowing cannot explain why
>>it cannot explain this. It does not explain how an all powerful being can
>>produce a world with such weakness and defects and shoddy workmanship. It
>>does not explain how evil can arise from something that is all good, or how
>>deception and illusion can arise out of all goodness and what is ultimately
>>real. It does not explain how incorporeality can make itself even known in
>>the world, because in the world, all that can be imagined, invisible dragons,
>>invisible cockroaches, other invisible gods etc., all appear the same (as in
>>the cartoon Barry posted). It does not explain how the time bound human mind
>>can conceive of timelessness, or infinity, or with
 our limited intelligence (having been somehow generated by something all
intelligent) can even imagine something more intelligent than we are.

>>simplicity / complexity
>>knowing / ignorance
>>powerful / weak
>>good / evil
>>reality / illusion
>>transcendent / factual
>>incorporeal / embodied
>>timeless / time bound
>>infinite / finite
>>

>>These opposites logically contradict one another and yet are somehow supposed
>>to fit together, our world and the 'world' denoted by the token 'god', but a
>>contradiction simply means that an argument is false. In other words
>>classical theism is attempting to ignore half of reality by shunting it away
>>under the rug and tacking the rest on a concept called 'god' which is walled
>>off from the corruption of those superlatives. On the face of it, those
>>superlatives look impressive. If you are a priest, a purveyor of a faith, it
>>is really a great thing to be able to ride on the coattails of such a
>>conception, because it makes you look good, because you have the appearance
>>of being associated with something above and beyond the miserable herd you
>>can look down upon. That is appearance only.
>>

>>Absolute being has nothing to do with metaphysics. Belief in something does
>>not materialise that something, it is simply an idea that one thinks is true
>>in the absence of whatever it is that one thinks is true. Metaphysics is an
>>imaginary playground of the mind, an illusion, a make believe story, that
>>exists as thought only. Absolute being has to do with concrete reality and
>>experience, it is the very world you see and hear and feel, even the cockeyed
>>thoughts in your head that try to explain the world. The arguments for and
>>against the theistic view of reality can simply be flipped and be the
>>argument for and against the atheistic view of reality. As long as you remain
>>in this mode of argument it is lose, lose, because no headway can be made
>>either way. Spirituality is not about trumping the atheistic argument or
>>exalting the theistic one, it is about getting out the argument altogether
>>and leaving it in the trash bin where it belongs. A lot of human
 intelligence has gone into these arguments but in the end, it is a matter of
belief, of ignorance, and to accept such arguments requires one to blunt one's
intelligence in some way, so you stop being curious, inquisitive,
investigative, and stop at a concept called 'god' which does not explain what
you do not know, but simply stops your intelligence in its tracks.