On 2/26/2014 10:01 AM, TurquoiseBee wrote:
All that symmetry and "sameness" feels oppressive to me

It's called "Town Planning" - that's where a town or city is planned to make sense; where roads and streets are laid out in a logical manner with plenty of room to get around. There's nothing like a town that is planned - especially one that is planned using a grid. In a town or city that is planned, the streets are straight and wide and named according to their function: Main, or First Street, or Second Street. A town where there are planned sidewalks for everyone. Town planning means freedom.

But, I'd have to say there's nothing more oppressive than to have to live in row house on a windy road next to a ditch where you have to park your car blocks away on a hillside or carry your bicycle and groceries up two or more flights of stairs. I don't know how anyone could stand to live in a two-story house with no front yard and that didn't have a paved driveway with an attached two car garage. I mean, what are we, sardines? Where is the fun in that? Go figure.