It's really a cool way to travel. Recently, I realized that I was paying for a
parking sticker for a car I hadn't used in a year, so I sold it. Don't have one
now, don't miss having one.

________________________________
 From: "steve.sun...@yahoo.com" <steve.sun...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, March 3, 2014 5:31 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Listen to this guy sing!

Thanks Barry, I had not been aware of that.
I know that here biking is not so much a part of how people get around than in
EU countries.  Maybe that has something to do with it.  Bike helmets are very
much encouraged in the US at least, and especially among children.  Actually, I
do not wear one myself, except when I know I'm going to be going fast and on
city streets.

One of my company's best customers is one of the main bike advocates here.  She
is always in the paper debating, sometimes quite contentiously with other bike
advocates on the best way to promote bike safety when riding in metropolitan
areas.

Her philosophy is to educate drivers to "share the road", more than creating
special bike lanes.

I haven't followed all the debate, but I think she recently prevailed in a
recent ordinance that was passed along these lines.

Another funny twist on that, was that they got their motivation for biking when
my wife and I along with our 6 or 7 year old son rode our bikes to their house
one afternoon.  That seemed to spark something in them.

Now they bike all over, using their bikes and public transportation.  Even
though they are millionaires!

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

Steve, with all due respect, I think that "looking at the statistics" you're
referring to might not be as convincing as you think. That, as it turns out, is
exactly what the Dutch government did when coming up with its rules and regs.

The result of a statistical study across all of the EU revealed that countries
that required helmets for bicycles and under-250cc scooters and motorbikes
actually had significantly *higher* rates of injury and death than those that
did not. As a result, you don't need a helmet for either type of device here.
Haven't had to for over a decade, and the Dutch "stats" are still significantly
lower than any of the countries surveyed.

In all of the countries riders of real motorcycles need helmets. And bike
riders here are required to have both front and back lights and warning bells.

Some of this can be legitimately attributed to better
infrastructure on the part of the Dutch, because in most cases bike and scooter
riders never share roads with cars (they have their own lanes). But still, it's
not as clear-cut a case for helmet wearing as some might think.