This is why Marcos fled - not because of Marshy:

Events in the Philippines under President Ferdinand Marcos forced Sin, the
spiritual leader of all Filipino Catholics, to become involved in the politics
of the region. He became witness to corruption, fraud and even murder at the
hands of the regime — events that pushed Filipinos to the brink of civil unrest
and even war. Sin appealed to Filipinos of all religions to follow the
teachings of Jesus in the Gospels and use peaceful means to change the
political situation in the Philippines.

In February 1986 president Marcos ordered his generals to deploy against the
marchers. However, at a key moment, Sin called on his flock to surround the
police and military headquarters in Manila. More than 1 million people took to
the streets praying the rosary and singing hymns in an outpouring that shielded
anti-government rebels from attack. Some soldiers decided to join the marchers.

In what later became known as the People Power Revolution, Marcos, his family,
and close advisors were forced to flee the Philippines and took up residence in
Honolulu, Hawaii upon the invitation of President of the United States Ronald
Reagan. Cardinal Sin, along with presidents Corazon Aquino and Fidel Ramos,
became known to Filipinos as the architects of the People Power Movement.

Sin decided to intervene again, in 2001, to become the spiritual leader of
another People Power Movement. Some Filipinos alleged that president Joseph
Estrada was guilty of widespread corruption and graft because of the
controversial "second envelope". Poor people marching in the streets, with the
support of Sin, the elite and military generals, succeeded in toppling Estrada
from power and elevating Gloria Macapagal Arroyo as acting president in what
was perceived by the international community as a triumphant democracy. The
"second envelope" was opened after the coup and turned out to be Estrada's bank
account.