My bet is on the two Iranians using fake passports, one of whom was carrying a
suitcase. Also, with the hundreds of satellites above us, someone saw
something, and isn't talking.

 It's what is known in journalismese as a "Man bites dog" story.

 I don't know about "fun to solve"; that sounds a little heartless when the
lives of so many people--including relatives and friends--are involved. But the
mystery certainly is compelling, and it makes no sense to suggest there's
something wrong with that perspective.

 The latest NYTimes story is headlined, "Malaysia Jet Changed Course at Time of
Disappearance, Officials Say." Some officials, that is. As if there weren't
enough confusion already, the reports are conflicting:
 http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/world/asia/malaysia-jet.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/world/asia/malaysia-jet.html?hp

 Perspective? Sure, people across the globe are dropping like flies from heart
attacks, road accidents, old age . . . but an aircraft vanishing without trace
is a MYSTERY and mysteries are fun to solve! Think Amelia Earhart - we're still
trying to work out what happened to her and she vanished in 1937.