The illustrative example, as I remember it, was of sitting reading a book when
someone starts playing a beautiful melody on the piano in the next room--and
your attention immediately leaves the book and goes to the music. I don't
recall anything about this needing a technique to function.

 Are you deliberately misleading your readers or are you confused?  "... that
the human mind naturally goes towards great fields of enjoyment, of bliss, of
happiness" -- I'm pretty sure the point made in the teaching is that this
tendency needs a technique to function, and it is brought out in the process of
meditating...surely you've noticed it happen during meditation?