If the Boeing 777 simulator the pilot played with at home has a "history"
record I'd want to check if he'd been sampling the Kamikaze Death Dive program
in recent weeks.

 My wife is on record saying that the plane landed in Pakistan or North Korea.
It was commandeered by terrorists, the passengers gassed, and this is the new
terrorism threat.

 I am leaning towards pilot suicide, and that a break will come from examining
phone records of passengers, where they will discover attempted calls (or
e-mails) around the same time from some of those on the plane. When people
suspect trouble, they do reactivate their electronic devices.

 I notice that the pilot Shah was described as an aviation geek. Shah had a
Boeing 77 simulator at his home(!) in Kuala Lumpur. “We used to tease him. We
would ask him, why are you bringing your work home,” said a friend.  Shah also
collected remote-controlled, miniature aircraft!

 That suggests to me the guy is a total loon. He lived for his passion -
flying. Maybe he wanted to die engaged in his passion also?