Talking about 2001: a Space Odyssey reminds me of a puzzle I've ruminated over
for decades. This query is for physicists on FFL. If you're not a physicist
stop reading now - unless maybe you live in Fairfield and are a friend of John
Hagelin. In which case can you tap him on the shoulder, ask him for his
thoughts on my conundrum and let me know what he says.   At the start of the
film we are approaching a doughnut-shaped space station. The station is
rotating. Why? Well, think of a schoolboy with a conker on a string. He twirls
his conker and the centrifugal force keeps the string taut. The concept is that
a circular space station is set in circular motion. The centrifugal effect
means that those inhabitants living on the edge of the circle would find
themselves in a pseudo-gravitational force so could walk around as if they were
on the surface of the Earth. Neat, yes? But here's the thing: how does the
space station "know" it is rotating? Why shouldn't we regard it as stationary
and the planets around it are the one's in motion?
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3oHmVhviO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3oHmVhviO8

 Isaac Newton came up with a "thought experiment": suppose a bucket containing
water being spun on the end of a rope. The centrifugal force would make the
water creep up the sides of the bucket. That's basic and acceptable. But
suppose the bucket on the end of the string was suspended in outer space? Why
would the water creep up the side of the bucket? Newton's answer was that there
is a background of Absolute Space - ie, a really existing environment of
three-dimensional space in which we live. The rotating bucket/conker/space
station rotates in reference to Absolute Space so that ensures the effects we
expect.
 That's nice. But what makes us twitchy is this thought: if a god was to decide
to move the Universe exactly 30 metres in some direction what difference would
we notice? And we see immediately we would notice no difference whatsoever. So
it's a difference that doesn't make a difference! But doesn't that suggest
Absolute Space is a redundant concept?
 Then along came Einstein. He rejected Newton's concept and replaced it with
relativity and space time. The position of an object only makes sense with
respect to another object to which it has a relative position. That's the new
orthodoxy. But then the obvious question is: in Einstein's universe would
Newton's spinning bucket see the water rising when the bucket was spun? In
other words, would a rotating space station give its inhabitants the sense of
gravity?
 Austrian physicist Ernst Mach thought the answer was "Yes". He believed that
just as a spun conker was spinning in relation to the gravitational pull of the
Earth, a rotating bucket in space was spinning in relation to the surrounding
galaxies. The problem with his answer is that 1) the gravitational effects of
distant galaxies is minute; and 2) if Einstein had thrown out Absolute Space as
a theoretical theory then, for all practical purposes, Mach was re-introducing
Absolute Space a de facto reality.
 So would Kubrick's rotating space station actually work as a viable
environment? I'm not aware of any plans to build rotating space stations. That
suggests confidence is low. Given the number of space launches has anyone ever
carried out experiments by either spinning buckets of water or (more likely)
carried out some simpler, equivalent experiment to see if the idea is right or
wrong? Not as far as I'm aware.
 If you know the answer to my puzzle can you send the solution to :
 Space Habitats
 NASA Headquarters
 Washington DC
 20546-0001

 I'm sure they'd be grateful to know what to concentrate on for space stations
of the future . . .