[I wrote:]
> > The ones who are toadies are those who flatter the
> > pope in the hope of personal gain rather than because
> > they think he's wonderful.
>
> Believe whatever you want, Judy.
>
> This exchange really illustrates the difference
> between you and me.  You seem to believe that to
> perform questionable actions (toadying up to some-
> one to gain some benefit from that) one *has* to
> be insincere.  That's a point of view based on an
> idealized and non-real-world view of life.

No, Barry, this doesn't have anything to do with
beliefs, sorry.  I understand why you have to try
to change the subject to try to find some way to
put me down, rather than admit you're wrong about
the dictionary definition *you* posted.

But this is *only* about that definition.  You're
more than welcome, as I've already said, to use a
different definition as long as you don't claim it's
the same as the one you originaly posted.

You're also more than welcome to start a new
discussion about what I believe, as long as you
don't try to pretend it's relevant to the
discussion about the definition, because you
can't tell anything about what I believe based
on what I've said about that definition.  It's
apples and oranges.

And you're also completely wrong about what I
believe, because you absurdly tried to derive
my beliefs from what I explained about the
definition of "toady."

Plus which, your hypocrisy shows up big-time:

> IMO, you are (as usual) trying to make a shades-
> of-gray situation into black and white, and IMO
> for your usual reason -- you want to feel superior
> to someone.  If you convince yourself that a
> person *has* to be insincere to be a toady, you
> can look down on them.

Would you like me to post some of what you said
on alt.m.t when you decided to begin calling
people who agreed with me on various points toadies?
Because that would make it crystal clear that *you*
look down on those you call toadies in that context.

> Me, I just recognize that
> the toadies are human and the students who aren't
> toadies are human and they're all just doing the
> best they can with what they've got.

I think I'll post this on alt.m.t for everyone to
get a chuckle from.  It'll be kind of hard, once
folks have read it, for you to use the "toady"
characterization as a putdown

> But you continue to project nefarious motivations
> onto people if you'd like.  It seems to be a trend,
> so much of one that somewhere along the line you
> seem to have decided that it makes you *happy* to
> think of people as nefarious and yourself as not.
> Personally, I don't think such a belief system
> really does make one happy, but I could be wrong.

This is just *too* rich.  It couldn't possibly be
a more accurate description of yourself.

OK, I can't resist.  Three quick selections from
Barry on alt.m.t:

"Grownups don't really feel the need to toady
up to others in an attempt to gain either
their approval or form some kind of consensus
to feel that their view is correct.  They just
pick a view and express it and let others
decide for themselves."

"And, of course, as usual, *you* didn't jump on
board until after Judy had suggested it, you
spineless toady coward."

"Toady weak and wimpy and in over his head. Quick...
support toady."