<snip>
> > Yes, but something that puzzles us this side of the
> > pond is how he get elected and then re-elected.
> > Uns.
> >
> My opinion?
> 1) He has some very astute and perceptive shady characters around
> him, who are adept at putting out the right message at the right
> time.

And a compliant media that runs with the message.
There's no question that the Swift Boat liars'
accusations hurt Kerry's chances; the media
generally played them as serious charges when
they were, in fact, total garbage.  And the media
faithfully echoed the RNC's talking points, such
as that Kerry was a "flip-flopper," that he had
consistently voted against defense spending, etc.,
etc., ad infinitum.  At the same time, the media
did very little serious challenging of Bush's
endless confabulations.

> 2) Also, the CEO of Diebold, maker of our electronic voting
> machines, declared that he would ensure a Republican victory.

Frankly, I think this is a red herring.  I seriously
doubt the guy would announce publicly that he was
going to fix the election via his machines, even if
that's what he intended to do.

What he said (in a fund-raising letter to Republicans)
was that he was committed to "helping Ohio deliver its
electoral votes for the president next year."  That's
a statement of faith that Bush would win Ohio, not a
statement of intention that he would do anything
illegal to make it happen.  It was a stupid thing to
say given the nature of his company, but it's not that
much different from a campaign chairman boasting that
his/her candidate will be elected.