Speech by Pujya Sadguru Deva, Sri Ganapathy Sachchidananda Swamiji on the
occasion of
Kartika Somavara (Monday)
15th November 2004 at Datta Peetham, Mysore

There are many atom like particles in Bhu Mandala [Planet Earth], which is
GodÕs creation.
The spirit of Shiva pervades over the entire globe, the galaxies and the
Universe. Shiva is
Truth. Shiva is the Mangalamurti who gives you joy and bliss. He is formless
and is in the
form of just a Bindu (dot) but we have given Him this form. When we meditate
upon Shiva,
we merge with Him and become One. What then is Shiva Tattva? The very truth
that is all
pervading where sheer bliss is present is the tenet of Shiva. Shiva thus is
Satyam (Truth)
Shivam Sundaram (beautiful as in the blissful state and not in physical terms,
though even
physically Shiva is beautiful). Truth is permanent, and the Atma is also
permanent. It has
no gender, no name, yet it is the perennial truth. Atma is one and indivisible.
There are
not 3 or 4 Atmas or even plenty, there is only One Atma. There is no real
difference
between you and me, since we a re all one Atma and the Atma is all pervading.
Why then
do we feel the difference between one another? The Buddhi (intellect), brings
these
differences and distinguishes one form the other
.
Now what is the need for these Pujas, Alankaras (decorations) and Abhishekas,
if the Atma
is one? Yes the Atma is one, but the gross bodies  are many. It is for this
gross body that
perceives through the senses that such outward physical manifestations like an
Idol are
needed and worshipping that idol becomes our own fulfillment of that need that
created
this idol.
This physical body with its karmic nature needs the discipline. God is our
family and is
related to us. He is this and that and He is everything. God is your own
opinion and you
have created Him. Even if you say He is not there even this is OK. The great
Saint
Shankaracharya had even declared that it was all a cipher. Even this is a tenet.
 The sky stands by itself. This is real truth; this is also god. Why then this
childish play of
Pujas, Abhishekas, and Alankaras? It is to please that very child in you. You
are children
and you must follow the discipline. Your mind has dirty questions and you need
to purify
the mind and clear your confusions. An hour in the temple with your Sadguru you
will
derive that concentration and the purity that is required to reach the Truth.
The six senses
have to be taught to discern the Real truth just as they perceive impermanent
truths. The
body feels cold, feel the heat and the warmth, how very true. But does it know
that these
are sensory only? To stretch the argument, even Pooja is impermanent. The
happiness that
the sense organs give us is impermanent. If truth therefore is permanent what
is it that we
are seeking? Pure Bliss is achieved through spiritual knowledge alone. Your
words are
empty, your joy   your tears are all useless. With the use of useless objects
you achieve a
degree of joy. If you mistake what your senses perceive as the real truth you
are in trouble.
You have no experience of the other kind of permanence therefore you think this
is the
real truth. You must make the effort to experience the real Truth by going
above the sense
perceptions. Puja and worship are excellent aids for this. Your constant
attention to
impermanent bliss through objects is thus an impediment to your growth. Your
misconceptions need to be cleared. For example the morning dew is so beautiful,
so
enticing on those lush green lawns, but can you use it as water. Dewdrops are
water, but
cannot be collected. Rainwater can   be collected and stored and used. It is
useful and it is
real. God therefore gives us that which is useful through Puja, which will lead
us from the
impermanent to the permanent.

This Puja on the first Monday of Kartika Month is like a second Shivaratri,
when we used to
keep a nightlong vigil (Jagarana) which is done to make u more alert and keep
the senses
alive. Abishekam or the bath is Jala Tattvam, which is dear to Shiva. Between
his eyebrows
is the Agni (fire), and Jala or water, which is thus the other element, since
finally Shiva is
the PANCHABHUTA (FIVE ELEMENTS). He is Prakriti and thus by worshipping Shiva
this way
we are worshipping Nature.

Jaya Guru Datta

 This Linga of Sachchidanandeshwara is very dear to Swamiji.  Swamiji blesses
you - ÒMay
the darkness leave you all and the light of Gnana (knowledge) enter your lives.