I loved those old Analog and Amazing Stories - As to Kai, I was more interested
in his take on the academic life of MIU since he was part of it.
On Wed, 4/9/14, lengli...@cox.net <lengli...@cox.net> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: The Maharishi Murderer
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Date: Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 12:45 AM

       Looking at this exchange, I realize that Michael,
 like Kai, likely went from hardcore true believer, to
 hardcore in the opposite direction.
 I knew Kai on my TM-SIdhis course. He was in the
 room next to mine during the Yogic Flying block. He seemed
 to be strongly committed to every tiny nuance of every tiny
 bit of Maharishi's teaching being 100% true, which I
 found odd in a scientist (or anyone else for that
 matter).
 Of course, my first exposure to organized
 religion was in the mid-60's when I would get into
 debates with my Sunday School teacher about whether Jesus
 were divine, or merely some kind of telekinetic/psychic
 healer able to psychically reach into the body of his
 patients and treat them. Looking back, it was a pretty
 sophisticated stance for a 4th grader to take, but I'd
 probably been watching some TV show with my father or
 reading one of the books where such things were described
 (Amazing Stories and
 Analog often had
 stories like that in the late 50's and early 60's, I
 believe).
 Fortunately for me, I was in the
 Unitarian-Universalist Church when I had those debates, or I
 might have caused serious problems for my parents (who
 frankly didn't care in the slightest what I believed
 about religion, as far as I know).
 Regardless, to quote Kai as an unbiased authority
 on TM, then or now, is to show a certain blindness to where
 Kai is coming from (then or now).

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <LEnglish5@...>
 wrote :

 "The needs
 of the many" seen from teh perspective of the needs of
 the few.
 If you believe in all the little details that
 Maharishi's perspective implies, then you end up with
 that kind of response. It's very
 fundamentalist.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <mjackson74@...>
 wrote :

 When
 I was at MIU there was a kid, I forget how old, I think
 around 11 or 12 maybe who came onto campus riding his bike I
 think right around dark. He entered campus on the lower
 entrance and the MIU security had put a chain across the
 entrance to keep people from coming in by automobile.
 Trouble was, they had put no flags or other identifying
 markers on the chain and in fog or after dark it was very
 hard to see it till you were right up on it.

 The kid hit the chain, fell off his bike and sustained
 injuries such that he was paralyzed. The doctors said he
 would not recover and would be paralyzed for life. Facing a
 lifetime of medical bills and dealing with that type of
 injury the parents chose to sue the university for not
 having made the chain easy to see and thereby easier to
 avoid hitting. I remember hearing one faculty member telling
 one of the kitchen staff it was so unfortunate that the
 parents were behaving so badly as to sue MIU and they were
 accruing some really bad karma.

  On Tue, 4/8/14,
 salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com

 Date: Tuesday, April 8, 2014, 9:04 AM

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,
 <LEnglish5@...>

 wrote :

 MUM,

 the TMO, and the TM movement had two main areas of

 culpability with respect to this man and the

 incident:

 1)

 there's a pervasive attitude that TM cures all ills and

 that all forms of medication can be reduced by doing TM
 (the

 MUM homepage even had a banner proclaiming it during the

 incident);

 2)

 there's a circle the wagons attitude to try and protect

 the organization, the technique and the mystique that

 Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's attitudes towards ever aspect
 of

 life can't possibly be wrong in even the tiniest

 iota.

 Those

 two things together brought about this tragedy:

 The

 kid grew to believe that he could go off his meds without

 telling anyone because he believed that TM was all he
 needed

 because that was what everyone else around him believed as

 well.

 No-one

 was willing to alert anyone in authority that he was
 showing

 signs of instability, and when his actions became so
 extreme

 that there was no way to deny that something was seriously

 wrong, the Powers that Be still chose to try to deny that

 they needed to turn to outside help.

 The

 result was a murder, and two simultaneous lawsuits that

 nearly bankrupt MUM -one from the family of the murder

 victim, and one from the family of the murderer. Only now

 are they recovering from the financial fallout, from what I

 can tell.

 It's a

 shocking story from every angle. I hope some sort of lesson

 got learned at MUM. Obviously the TMO still keeps up

 it's pretence of perfection but everyone should have

 learned something about mental health and the limits of

 meditating. It isn't going to fix things like this and

 is likely to make them worse. I've seen it myself a

 couple of times. No one got hurt, the sufferers just got

 sent into the care of the health

 service.

 similar story lies behind the recent violence at the pundit

 compound.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,

 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
 wrote :

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,
 <turquoiseb@...>

 wrote :

 It's probably worth noting that the blurb Michael

 posted here is *NOT* from Sem himself, and the title of the

 book is *NOT* "The Maharishi Murderer." The blurb

 was written by a part-timer at the book PR agency Sem or
 the

 publisher hired to stir up interest in the book,

 SEND2PRESS.

 Yes, well spotted. I saw only

 the sensational aspect through my bleary morning

 eyes.

 On

 the other hand, "the Maharishi Murderer" *IS*

 exactly what he was. What makes such PR excess possible are

 the extravagant (and clearly untrue) claims made by MUM

 about what an "ideal society" it represents, and

 how violence and crime simply can't exist inside the

 awesome Field Of Woo generated by the domes. When
 you've

 made claims like that and then had them proved untrue, *of

 course* you pretend the event never happened in your campus

 newspapers. Many of the people on campus (and the TBs here)

 are still busy pretending it never happened in their own

 minds.

 I think the

 excess of hyperbole in the TMO is always going to be a

 problem. Words like "ideal" and

 "invincible" are all very well but it's all

 rather easily disproved. Somehow, terms like "Same as

 everywhere else" or "We're only as good as
 the

 people who come and stay" aren't going to be such

 big draw. But they won't backfire

 either...

 From: salyavin808

 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

 FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com

 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:39 AM

 [FairfieldLife] Re: The Maharishi Murderer

 Sounds like

 an interesting book. Shame about the appalling title. I

 think the tagline should read:

 One

 Man's Escape from Insanity' is the story of

 Shuvender Sem, who, 10 years later, we are now going to

 pretend that on March 1, 2004 became known as 'The

 Maharishi Murderer'  to sell more books.

 Maybe it

 covers this, but here is also an interesting story about
 how

 some people with latent psychosis are adversely affected by

 TM and the TMSP. I've known a couple myself. Maybe they

 do too much, maybe they

 would have had a breakdown anyway, but they say that about

 those people who are insane after a hit of LSD. Some things

 open unconscious wounds and we all know that TM is much
 more

 than just a relaxation technique. But it's impossible

 say for sure. I think it's just hopelessly ineffective

 with deep psychological problems, a bit of seratonin goes a

 long way but it isn't a cure all.

 But I seem

 to remember some research claiming that TM lowers psychotic

 succeptability, didn't help a friend of mine and the

 people in the TMO had no way of dealing with it which I
 seem

 to remember was the main problem at MUM.

 Most

 interesting aspect of it for cult watchers was the news

 blackout, a murder on campus didn't even make the

 student newspaper! I'm all for global good news but
 that

 was sinister, our very own Bob Brigante commented that

 it's like living in North Korea.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,

 <mjackson74@...> wrote :

 New

 Autobiography Gives Insight into Maharishi Murder

 Tue, 19 Feb 2013, 14:47:52 EDT

 Edited by Debra Tone

 LANCASTER, Pa., Feb. 19, 2013 (SEND2PRESS NEWSWIRE) -- It
 is

 a story that could only be written by one person. A

 compelling autobiography that not only pushes the
 boundaries

 of sanity, it takes readers on a frightening voyage to meet

 it face-to-face. "Murder and Misunderstanding; One

 Man's Escape from Insanity" (ISBN-13:

 978-1479256969) is the story of Shuvender Sem, who on March

 1, 2004 became known as "The Maharishi

 Murderer."

 The murder took place in Fairfield, Iowa, on the campus of

 university that prided itself on non-violence. The
 Maharishi

 University of Management used a variety of techniques

 towards its non-violent goals including twice-daily use of

 Transcendental Meditation. It was to no small degree that

 this setting put the murder in the national spotlight.

 In one moment Sem was a college student. In the next he was

 "The Maharishi Murderer." Shuvender killed

 freshman Levi Butler without provocation on the campus by

 stabbing him four times in the chest with a paring knife.

 The murder took place following an incident earlier in the

 day when Sem stabbed a student with a pen. That previous

 incident led to the student getting seven stitches to his

 face.

 Deemed competent to stand trial, the judge ruled he was

 "not guilty by reason of insanity" at the request

 of both the defense and the prosecution. Against popular

 belief, NGRI is an extremely rare plea, used in less than

 one percent of criminal cases. A not guilty result is even

 more uncommon, occurring just one-quarter of one percent of

 the time.

 Now, after years of psychotropic medications and intense

 therapy, Shuvender is telling his story of schizophrenia in

 his autobiography, "Murder and Misunderstanding; One

 Man's Escape from Insanity." It is not only an

 extremely rare look into the mind of a killer from his own

 perspective, but it is also a deeply personal story that

 explores the darkest, most grim places of the mind.

 "Our mental health system is broken. We need to fix

 this before more crimes are committed," says Sem.

 In his book, Shuvender tells of his relationship with his

 father, and the events that led to that day on campus. He

 describes his struggle with, and eventual escape from this

 misunderstood illness. It is a story of recognition and

 realization. A story of redemption desired, and hope

 delivered. It is a book written to serve as a beacon for

 those with schizophrenia and their families, by a man who

 was held in its strongest grips, and managed to escape.

 Shuvender Sem, or Shubi as he is known, now speaks publicly

 about his experience with schizophrenia in the hopes of

 helping others. He is available for presentations and

 Q&A sessions for law enforcement, mental health groups,

 attorney associations, academic institutions and others who

 may feel they can benefit from his story.

 The self-told story of Shuvender Sem, "Murder and

 Misunderstanding; One Man's Escape from Insanity"

 is available at http://www.ShuvenderSem.com/

 . The book is available in paperback; as well as Kindle,

 iPad and Nook digital editions.