Forwarded from: "Tim Bowker" <tgbow...@lisco.com>

Tonight!  CITY COUNCIL considers proposed grain processing site

FAIRFIELD CITY COUNCIL AGENDA
CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
April 14, 2014 7:00 P.M.
118 S Main St

Blue Zone concerns regarding proposed Heartland Co-Op:

http://ia-fairfield.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/1718

Listen to the following 60-minute KRUU interview Friday afternoon of the
currently planned grain elevator and chemical fertilizer plant
http://www.kruufm.com/node/17758

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: xyz2041 <xyz2...@gmail.com>

Hi, Fairfield Community Member...

Here are some things we found out just in the pastfew days:

* Heartland Co-op has completed the purchase of 160  acres as of April 2nd.

* A top-view drawing shows that they want to have the  exit directly across
from Jerry and Marge Leahy's  house.  If built, this would make living
intolerable for them.  Imagine grain dryers running  24 hours a day, trucks and
trains with their diesel  exhaust and noise at all hours.  Here is that
drawing:

      http://A7H.com/TopViewDrawing.gif

* Heartland is moving quickly and has not publicly  disclosed all the features
and plans--perhaps in  fear of the backlash it would cost if the true size  and
scope were revealed.

* The proposed project is even bigger than we feared.  In fact, there isn't an
existing Heartland project  in the same league.  They want to build a 220-foot
tall and 2-block-long structure.  This would be the  tallest structure outside
of Des Moines or Cedar  Rapids!  Here is a "to scale" graphic comparing it  to
the courthouse:

    http://A7H.com/ComparisonGraphic.gif

* The Leahy family's 4 homes are directly adjacent to  this proposed behemoth,
and their quality of life  would be severely affected if it is allowed to be
constructed.  Much of the community will be  negatively affected, which
includes people  living/working in the eastern half of town.

* The indirect word is that this industrial complex  would be only "Phase 1" of
their plans.  They won't  reveal the rest, but possibilities include: ethanol
processing, fertilizer processing and storage, and  who knows what else!

We need your help!

We have been informed that Section 414.23 of the IowaCode grants the City of
Fairfield a two-mile"extraterritorial jurisdiction" over this project:

    http://TinyURL.com/Iowa-414-23

This means that the Fairfield City Council has thepower to enact ordinances
that would stop thisproject.

However, the council members and the mayor--just likethe county
supervisors--are situated between a rockand a hard place.  They want to do
what's best forFairfield and Jefferson County, but they are unsurewhich
direction the majority of citizens are leaning.

We need to show them the strength of the oppositionand the determination to
preserve the environmentallyfriendly way of life and our city's green
reputation.This means we absolutely need you to help!

1. The first favor we need to ask is very easy.Please sign our online petition
asking for completestudies on how this proposed industrial plant wouldaffect
our quality of    life:

    http://TinyURL.com/m4da4v8

We plan to present this to the county supervisorsMonday morning and the city
council Monday evening.Would you please take 30 seconds to sign this rightnow?
Thank you!

2. Thanks to everyone who attended the countysupervisors' meetings during the
past few weeks!  Wehave made an impression.

As you can see, the supervisors would like to avoiddiscussion of the Heartland
debacle for this week:

    http://www.JeffersonCountyIowa.com/docs/agenda14-04-14.pdf

A few of us plan to be there just to make certainnothing untoward occurs.  So,
it's not necessary fora large group to attend.

However, we are on the agenda for the city councilmeeting later Monday night at
7 PM:

    http://CityOfFairfieldIowa.com/DocumentCenter/View/1460

So, we would really need you to come to this meeting(Monday, April 14th, 7 PM)
and show the council andmayor that we stand for high quality living
standardsand don't want to have a 220 ft. industrial complexmarring our
beautiful eastern entrance.  The cityshould act to prevent this.

3. Personal contact.  We really appreciate yoursigning the online petition.
Something that would addto that effect would be to reach out to your
councilmember, mayor, and county supervisors.  By making apersonal
contact--either personal visits, letters,email, or phone calls--it will let
them know thatthere are a great number of people who want them toact to oppose
this project.  Please be polite,respectful, and appreciative of these public
servantswho work on behalf of everyone in the city/county.

Would you please pledge to contact at least 3 ofthese people this coming week?

Here are contact details:

Supervisors:

  Lee Dimmitt  1300 W. Jackson Ave.  Fairfield, IA  52556-4251  641-919-9547
lee.dimm...@jeffersoncountyia.com

     Dick Reed  709 S. Maple St.  Fairfield, IA  52556-3746  641-919-8262
dick.r...@jeffersoncountyia.com

     Becky Schmitz  404 West Washington Ave.  Fairfield, IA  52556-3344
641-919-5575  bschm...@jeffersoncountyia.com

City Council and Mayor:

  Ed Malloy (Mayor)  1105 Lakeview Dr.  Fairfield, IA  52556-9669  641-472-7754
 emal...@danaheroil.com

     Martha Rasmussen (First Ward)  1104 S. D St.  Fairfield, IA  52556-3820
rras...@lisco.com  641-472-2339

     John Revolinski (Second Ward)  2050 Coral Ln., Apt. 3  Fairfield, IA
52556-8764  jrevolin...@gmail.com  641-472-3939

     Tony Hammes (Third Ward)  604 S. 33rd St.  Fairfield, IA  52556-4744
tham...@outlook.com  641-919-1412

     Michael Halley (Fourth Ward)  404 N. Main St.  Fairfield, IA  52556-2446
mhalle...@gmail.com  641-233-0445

     Daryn Hamilton (Fifth Ward)  1602 Woodside Cir.  Fairfield, IA 52556-4145
dham...@yahoo.com  641-919-1861

     Jessica Ledger-Kalen (At Large)  709 S. 2nd St.  Fairfield, IA  52556-3606
 j...@royaleconcrete.com  641-919-8912

     Doug Flournoy (At Large)  217 Glasgow Rd.  Fairfield, IA  52556-3004
dsflour...@hotmail.com  641-472-0261

Thank you for making your voice heard!  We reallyvalue the quality of life that
we have built up overthe years and appreciate your help preserving
andmaintaining that quality.

To help you stay updated, we have started a websitein the past few days:

    http://CountyTaxPayers.com/

We hope to update this site as quickly as any newsabout this issue comes to our
attention.

Please forward this email to anyone who wants topreserve and enhance the
quality of life of ourcommunity.  If you want to be included in thesemailings,
please send your contact information to:i...@countytaxpayers.com.

With sincere thanks,

Mea Lama, Roger Leahy, Cindy Ballou, Keith DeBoer,& Patrick Bosold