Comments below...

 From a sociological POV this question has vast implications, and always has,
in how we approach society's sense of justice in our legal system. It wasn't
long ago that we hanged an elephant for killing a man. Today we have people on
death row who were not mentally able to make a choice, so this topic is very up
as we learn more about the brain and how it creates sociopaths. I believe that
this information may lead to a more just humane society where we don't sentence
people with a wink wink to getting raped in prison for their "choice" to commit
a crime.

I guess I'm not that idealistic. I think there are people out there in the
world who read the news reports about Oklahoma's recent "botched execution" and
felt GOOD that the prisoner suffered. I don't see them altering these views in
any way as a result of "some kind of science" trying to convince them that
there is no free will.

 Probably not, but on the other hand such people are most likely a small
minority, not nearly enough for their view to determine how society treats
criminals. The outrage over that execution was worldwide.

From a personal POV I find the question insightful as I attempt to approach
making personal changes in my life. In my experience, self improvement of any
kind is like herding cats.

I certainly can't disagree with that. One of the things about FFL that amuses
me the most is the proliferation of people who claim to believe that "God does
everything" and that there is no free will, but somehow *them* having decided
to learn TM and continue doing it makes them "special."  :-)

 Aside from the fact that a "proliferation of people" is Barry's fantasy, many
of us just feel exceedingly lucky to have stumbled across TM and taken a flyer
on it. The "feeling special" part, in the sense of taking credit for oneself,
is also Barry's fantasy. But in any case, those who believe "God does
everything" might well feel "special"--i.e., blessed--because God led them to
TM.