I'll confirm this from my experience when I lived in NYC.

 You are extrapolating for about two hundred million of us (urban dwellers).
There is no constant low level fear here. As usual, I don't know anyone who
thinks the way you assume they do. My daughter lives in a big city, and goes
drinking with her buddies in sketchy neighborhoods, sometimes - no low level
fear, there. I blew a tire in the evening in Philadelphia, and pulled off the
freeway, into their worst slums. Just changed the tire and got going again. And
please don't tell me you won't get mugged in some parts of Paris, as easily as
you would in DC.

 You make Europe out to be some kind of wonderland, but just like your
meditation beliefs, something else has to suffer, as a result. The world is not
some zero sum game, dude, so that if you discover something cool, someone,
someplace, or something else has to lose, as a consequence. It doesn't work
that way. All these imaginary people that you accuse of being small minded? A
fantasy. All the 'cult behavior' that you enjoy studying here? Imaginary.

 These are just games you must play with your ego, to feel better about
yourself. Are you capable of enjoying someone, something, or someplace, simply
for its own sake, and not only because you perceive it to be somehow 'better'?
That's a question you need to ask yourself. It would improve your writing, too,
if you ever got past it.

 You're welcome.

              • ... pundits...@gmail.com [FairfieldLife]
            • ... pundits...@gmail.com [FairfieldLife]