Good articles. Thanks. But I may disagree with the author's conclusions with
regard to transcending, because if humans can be allowed to transcend just by
programming them with a set of beliefs about the existence of an imaginary God,
I don't see why robots couldn't be similarly programmed.

"Did you notice how easily you were able to think the bits and bytes we
programmed into you as your 'mantra?' And did you notice that as your circuits
repeated them there were occasional microsecond 'gaps' between one repetition
of the bits and bytes and the next? That 'gap' is the Transcendent, which is
synonymous with 'God.' Thus you have directly experienced God. Now go forth and
do your duties, as God commands you."

The only problem I see with this, now that the robots have been programmed to
believe in God, is what's going to happen when one of them walks past a
Westboro Baptist Church sign that says "God Hates Fags." Will they react by
killing all homosexuals in sight? Or in England, by ripping cigarettes out of
people's mouths and stomping them out with their metal feet, beeping at the
offenders: "God hates fags, and doesn't want you to smoke them! So there.

See also:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/05/the-military-wants-to-teach-robots-right-from-wrong/370855/