 From: "Michael Jackson mjackso...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]"
<FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
To: "FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 1, 2014 4:42 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] A Little MIU Story

I was talking to my Kentucky friend Bob the other day. Bob
was MIU for eight years total, as a student for most of them, but he worked on
staff
from time to time. This is what he told me.

"Yeah I was there during the Robin Carlsen years. I
went to see him once, just once, out of curiosity really. And it was
interesting, but he was kinda strange I thought. He was kinda strange. Now one
thing, he did have some energy, no question about it. He looked directly in my
eyes and man I felt like he was peering into all the deep dark stuff that was
in there, you know?

But he was really kinda strange, and from what I could see
of his stuff, well he was doing exorcisms is what he was really doing with
people. But anyway I only went that one time, and that was the only time I saw
him except for the time he came to a Charlie Lutes talk and I was there.

But anyway, I went back on campus after the Robin Carlsen
thing, and went to work the next day like usual, I was working the in press at
that time and about half way through the day a guy comes in and says "Bob,
the Ad Council wants to see you."

So I said ok and man, there were a few guys in the press
that day, and none of 'em would look me straight in the eye, they all had these
hang dog looks on their faces and would only look at me out of the sides of
their eyes.

So I followed this guy on over to where they were waiting
for me, and I walk in the room and there is Bill Rist, Mario Orsati and James
Beddinger. There was one other guy there too, but I can't remember who it was.
They
sit me down and started in on the interrogation. They asked me all kinds of
questions about my going to see Robin, but the main thing they kept asking me
over and over was "Do you believe in him?"

So I told 'em what I knew they wanted to hear, like I
thought he was flakey and I just went that one time out of curiosity and stuff
like that. I guess I satisfied them, cause they didn't kick me out, but they
sure did give me some lectures about how I needed to be careful about what I
did as a staff or student and I needed to be careful about my behavior and my
thinking.

And that was the end of it, except that after that every
time I saw James around campus he would give me these looks, you know, like
"I'm watching you boy!" kind of looks.

And I swear, you know I am a big and was a big Charlie Lutes
fan so whenever Charlie would come anywhere close to Fairfield, I would always
go see him. But after that "meeting" with Bill Rist and Mario and
James, ever after that when I would come back on campus after seeing Charlie,
there would come James.

It didn't matter if I was headed to my room or the
dining hall or student union, or wherever I would be, just a few minutes after
getting back on campus, James would come walking by. He would just say hello,
but I knew he was letting me know he knew I had gone to see Charlie.

The other thing that happened was from then on any time I
applied for a course of any kind, WPA or whatever my application was always
held up and I had to answer questions about going to see Robin Carlsen that one
time. And that went on while I was staff and student and for years after, even
when I would apply to go to a WPA in Louisville or someplace, they have always
asked me about going to see Robin.