On 6/4/2014 8:07 PM, Bhairitu noozg...@sbcglobal.net [FairfieldLife] wrote:
When did you get your advanced technique? When I got mine in 1976 it was based on a different beej mantra from the first technique I got. I've heard in later years it might have been taught by using the original beej and adding to it. There are all kinds of way to create advanced mantras and they can have different effects too.

That's interesting because when I got my initial TM initiation, Jerry Jarvis gave me the bija mantra /and the fertilizer/ the first time. My advanced technique was the Night Technique I got from Satyanand that had no mantras at all.

What I'm interested in is where MMY got the list of bija mantras. Usually you get a bija mantra from your guru, not a whole list of bijas to pass out to others. There are lists of bijas in so many books, but a real guru would probably not get them from a book, or would he?

And, how would MMY know what bija mantras SBS was giving out, since they are supposedly whispered into the ear and kept secret by the student in an initiation?

Apparently all the bija mantras used in TM are bhakti mantras used in /qualified non-dualism/ by Vaishnavas. Are there any bija mantras in TM that would be used in relation to the impersonal Brahman?

When you think about it, repeating a sound over and over in your mind is kind of a strange thing to be doing, when you can't even read a Sanskrit scripture or even speak Hindi to find out what it means. How do we know if somebody didn't just make up sounds to confuse the people and charge a fee?

What is it, exactly, that would lead a rational person to repeat a nonsense gibberish phrase given to them by a total stranger?

Also, how many mantras does a person need to know in order to become enlightened? There are a lot of unanswered questions about the bija mantras.

I've been asking these questions for 40 years - and since 1999 on the internet - and nobody has been able to provide an answer. You're probably the most qualified person to date. Go figure.

On 06/04/2014 05:28 PM, authfri...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:

Gee, in my understanding, you get only one bija mantra when you're initiated. The advanced techniques aren't new bija mantras, they're actual Sanskrit words that you use with your original bija mantra. Am I wrong? I have only one advanced technique, and that was the case for me.

ReFunny you should mention that. On my TTC when MMY came to make us teachers he also gave out advanced techniques. On the flight back home folks were running around asking "do you remember the mantra that MMY gave you for an advanced technique?" A number of people could not or were confused as to it's pronunciation (including myself).

Ha-ha! There are also stories of people (here on FFL) who reverted back to their original bija mantras because they found the advanced technique mantra didn't agree with them. (I bet there was no money-back-if-not-completely-satisfied clause.)