> I tend to agree with Rama that it is actually
> *easier* for a woman to realize enlightenment
> than it is for a man.  It's not a value judge-
> ment; it's an energetic thing.  But it doesn't
> seem to happen as often as it should, and I
> personally think that one of the reasons is the
> encapusaltion of sexual bigotry into religion.
> If a society that is run by men wants to *keep*
> being run by men, how do you pull that off?
> Easy.  You just make the superiority of men and
> the subservience of the women a part of the
> dogma of the prevalent religion.  Look at the
> Catholic Church.  Look at India.

****
Islam should be added in your list as the number one of religions that
have made the subservience of the women a dogma to keep men in their
position of superiority and control over women. I think largely the
problems of violent fanaticism is due to the subordinate position of
women. That kind of women cannot raise healthy children, who can adopt
in adulthood independent clear moral reasoning and who have no need to
subjugate others to feel good about themselves.

I just read in a magazine an interview of dr.Salman Asif. He was born
in Pakistan and is working as a consultant in Britain in the Ministry
of the Interior on non-violent crisis resolution.
The article dealt with honour realated violence that is prevalent in
Islam cultures.
In the article he brings out many oddities (to me terrible features)
in the moral reasoning related to women in Pakistan. For example a
raped woman has to bring to court as witness four men or eight women.
If she cannot, she will be put in prison. 70% of the prisoners in
Pakistan are raped women!
I felt myself sick and nauseous after reading the article.

Irmeli