snip

> > > The concept has been defunct for years. Find mention of O2
> consumption
> > > in any current research or any current "talking points"
> scientific
> > > charts.
> >
> > @@@@@@@@
> >
> > I did not say that "02" had been retained. What WAS retained
> was "state of rest twice as
> > deep as sleep", only now as indicated by metastudies, not by one
> single, decisive measure.
> >
> > L B S
> >

> Metastudies of what parameters?

********

The "global" physiological measures.

A metastudy is a mathematical workup of existing studies. The statistical
methods are
comparatively sophisticated, and in my opinion, comparatively more subject to
manipulation for that reason.

Before this goes too far into the trees, let me once again identify the forest
I am
discussing:

For many years (based primarily on Wallace), TM teachers around the world
proudly
pointed to the O2 consumption chart and told audiences collectively numbering
in the
milllions that this one, single, incontrovertible measure proved beyond
reasonable doubt
that TM provided the deepest level of rest available to humanity—an
coincidentally,
unavailable by any other method.

With Kesterson's finding, that claim was shattered. It was not, however,
immediately
withdrawn from public use. No bulletin was sent out to teachers in the field.
(In fact, I'm
sure there must be old timers out there still using it.) Instead, it was
retired without
fanfare. In its place were now claims that subtle measures of blood chemistry
and other
global measures showed that TM produced a level of rest "twice as deep as
sleep". So the
concept was not dropped.

Looking back, at this point I do not remember whether the subtle blood
chemistry
argument was based on metastudies. The metastudy argument gained its greatest
currency when a "metastudy" was produced to show that TM was more effective
than all
other meditation techniques.

My point—forgive me for belaboring it, but it's easy to overlook—is that the
simplest and
most effective argument for TM had crumpled. It was replaced with something
that is
neither simple enough for the average person to undestand nor obvious enough to
be
acknowledged as decisive.

Generally speaking, every benefit of TM has been documented for other programs.
Because TM has more research behind it, it is comparatively easy to make the
"global"
argument, that no other technique produces the overall benefits. This argument
is suspect
because of the generally bad reputation of TM research in general, which has
been
discussed elsewhere.

The bottom line, from my point of view, is that TM research will never again be
able to
establish the primacy of the TM technique among other forms of meditation and
self-
improvement programs. On a practical level, it doesn't matter whether the
reasons are
sociological or scientific, a matter of prejudice or a matter of professional
evaluation.

The arguments for the superiority of TM are of such a sophisticated level of
science and
mathematics that Joe Lunchbucket will never have a clue whether they mean
anything or
not. Nor will most of his neighbors who possess MAs and PhDs.

This is not to say that TM research does not generate scientific support or
funding for TM
programs, as some who post here are quick to point out. But the view from
inside the
movement is deeply skewed, and doesn't acknowledge that TMs competitors are out
there
making hay as well.

L B S