> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anonymousff
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > The topic of how difficult it is to discuss
> > > enlightenment in relative terms, you mean?
> > >
> > > One doesn't have to be enlightened to have a
> > > sense of where the intellect leaves off and
> > > what it can't do.
> >
> > ***
> > No. The topic of what enlightenment is. It's attributes. For
> example
> > (only), whether or not the enlightened brahmin sees differences
> > between a brahmin, a cow, etc.
>
> Jeez.  That was me *quoting Maharishi*.
>
> I don't have to be enlightened to quote MMY,
> do I?

***
Not at all. Not really meaning to get on your case. You did a good
job of quoting MMY.

And not to pick on you in particular. I just get a sense sometimes
when reading threads such as this one that some people are living
too much in their conceptual worlds about what enlightenment is
supposed to be about based on formulaic expressions coming from a
variety of sources, be they MMY or Buddhist teachings or what not.

Having done that for many years, I am very familiar with it. MMY's
teachings were always home base. And I presumed them to be
impeccable and the final word. Even though the topic was supposedly
ineffable, it never occurred to me that memorizing a huge conceptual
structure and ever learning more "fine points of knowledge" had very
little to do with the actual business of "progressing on a path" or
of recognizing one's own experiences for what they actually are.

Sometimes, I would venture out of the MMY home base and study some
other teachings as an inspirational conceptual exercise. It was
natural to try to understand other systems of knowledge "in the
light of SCI" as MMY taught us to do. Eventually, I learned to
understand other conceptual frameworks in their own light, and began
to feel that MMY's words may not always be impeccable and the final
word. And some time later, I became much more interested in my own
growing experience of what's really going on here (meaning, in the
realm of consciousness) than in what MMY might have said about it
once. And along with that, I am thrilled and inspired to hear about
the growing experiences of others, in their own, authentic words,
not in the words of some conceptual structure originating outside of
their own experiences.

So I just want to encourage that kind of interchange.