 From: "TurquoiseBee turquoiseb@... [FairfieldLife]"
<FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>

 I love old buildings. Each one has its own vibe, matching its history. I love
visiting really old buildings when I'm having one of my sorta-psychic days,
because I can "tune in" and catch glimpses into the past. It's not like seeing
ghosts -- I don't -- more like being able to feel some residual influence from
the people who lived their lives there. If I were to try to come up with a
metaphor for what it feels like, it would be from back in the days of film
cameras, when you could intentionally or inadvertently create a "double
exposure." If the camera didn't move, you've got one "background photo," and
then another one superimposed over it, sort of ghostly, because the second
image always appears a little overexposed. Sometimes you can see through the
second image to the background below.

That's what touring old buildings on a good day is like for me. I see the
present as the "background photo," and then every so often -- without willing
it, without expecting it, without doing anything to create it -- I get this
visual flashback, with other characters and other furniture situated in the
same room. As with a double exposure, I can sorta see through them. And it only
lasts for a few seconds. Even if it's only imagined -- and I fully admit that
it could be -- it's a lot of fun.

 I have to rely totally on my minds eye, and watch/read a lot, always a good
history doc on the BBC! It's always interesting to try and see how someone else
lived, ancient Rome is the time I'd most like to visit. I found an unexcavated
Roman city in Turkey when I was hiking about once, that would have blown you
away! It was all overgrown with mangroves but you could see all the classical
icons like the theatre with it's curved seats stretching up into the trees and
statues of the Emperor. Very cool, there's stuff like this all over the middle
east, they don't even know the names for most of it and they don't have the
money or manpower to preserve it so it just gets overrun by nature.

 My old TM academy was amazing, more than 500 years old it was perfect for
letting the imagination run wild. I swear it was haunted, there was one
corridor that I hated walking through, real shiver down the spine stuff! Must
have been all the oak panelling and creaky floors.

 Henry the 8th stayed there apparently, there was unbroken forest all the way
to London in those days and he used to go hunting with the earl of Roydon and
no doubt feast on whole boar cooked in the giant stone fireplace in the dining
room.

 We made do with rice and dhal, I don't know who would be more surprised if a
superimposed time-slip sort of thing happened and we met each other.

Trying to describe this reminded me of a Dutch photographer who must have had
(or imagined) the same experience. He combines new photographs with old to
create superimposed images that kinda capture what the experience is like.

I love those photo's, really eerie.

 I wonder what it would be like being able to see everything that had happened
in one place? Is that a sidhi you'd want?

 Ghosts of war: Artist superimposes World War II photographs on to modern
pictures of the same street scenes
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219584/Ghosts-war-Artist-superimposes-World-War-II-photographs-modern-pictures-street-scenes.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219584/Ghosts-war-Artist-superimposes-World-War-II-photographs-modern-pictures-street-scenes.html";
 class="ygrps-yiv-32611261link-enhancr-card-urlWrapper
ygrps-yiv-32611261link-enhancr-element

 Ghosts of war: Artist superimposes World War II photogra...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219584/Ghosts-war-Artist-superimposes-World-War-II-photographs-modern-pictures-street-scenes.html
 The remarkable pictures show scenes from France today with atmospheric
photographs taken in the same place during the war superimposed on top.

 View on www.dailymail.co.uk
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219584/Ghosts-war-Artist-superimposes-World-War-II-photographs-modern-pictures-street-scenes.html
 Preview by Yahoo