John, thanks for interesting article; sal and turq, thanks for laughs (-:

On Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:58 AM, salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

If we find a solar system with enough planets they could name it after FFL!

All we'd need is a serene planet with a glowing atmosphere that bathes the
others in clear light - that could be planet Salyavin, ahem, maybe.

A bright red "God of war" type planet could be called Jacksonworld.

A swirling blue planet, full of life could be called Turqville.

Any small distant world with a wildly eccentric orbit might be good candidate
for planet Nabby, but John might want to fight him for the honour.

Willytex seems a reasonable name for that inevitable huge ball of gas with a
super-dense core.

Lawson might want to claim that rather dry and dusty world that follows an
ultra-predictable course through the heavens.

Planet Xeno drifts among the others, an ancient world but containing the wisdom
collected from a lifetime's wanderings.

Jimbo would need to be an odd planet indeed, maybe one who some might think a
unique place, full of mystery and desirable for the many travellers in the same
orbit. Seasoned astronomers realise there aint nuthin special going on there at
all.

There are usually small planets that are inhospitable in some way or too
indistinguishable to be noticed, some are hostile to life while still others
seem to hang around with each other without affecting anything else. I don't
know what to call any of those, The Paranoids?

I can't think of any more just now, add or amend at your pleasure.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emilymaenot@...> wrote :

"The IAU has set some ground rules for organizations that plan to submit names
for the competition before the public vote. According to the IAU, the rules are:
        * Names should be 16 characters or less, preferably one word,
non-offensive, pronounceable and not too similar to names already assigned to
other celestial bodies
        * Groups cannot propose names of pet animals, principally commercial
names or names of living people. Additionally, groups cannot propose names of
individuals, events or places mainly known for political, military or religious
activities.
        * Names cannot be protected by trademark or protected by intellectual
property law.
        * Winning names won't replace the scientific designation (the
scientific name of the star followed by a letter, for example: Kepler-22b).
However, the IAU will recognize the name as a legitimate, publicly used name."

You can now vote in names for the 1700 exoplanets that have been officially
discovered.  Given that India has many names for various gods, it would seem
that many of these exoplanets will be named after the Hindu pantheon.

http://news.yahoo.com/name-alien-planet-voters-wanted-christen-strange-worlds-215255502.html

  • [FairfieldLife] Name ... jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [FairfieldLife] ... emilymae...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • [FairfieldLi... salyavin808