--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,
"tomandcindytraynoratfairfieldlis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tom T writes:
> It is my experience that one can have complete awareness of
> surroundings during sleep. The only problemo is that of complete and
> utter boredom. It is like watching the old Test Pattern on TV which
> used to be on most of the night. After so many nights of the same
> bedroom and the same bed it is all the same, all the same. After a
> while one just shuts it down. Deep sleep is preferable to total
> boredom. Spend weeks, months and years being aware of your intimate
> surroundings and see how long before you shut it down. TOm

****
The boredom can be avoided by starting actively in the deep restful
meditative state to pay attention to one's energies. You just observe
if a tiny little feeling of anxiety or some tension can be recognized
somewhere in the body.

Almost always it is the case at least for me. Then I let my attention
just rest on the felt anxiety or tension. Often gradually the
sensation starts to change its character, and finally fear or some
other heavy emotion emerges. At that point it is important to draw the
attention away from the object of one's fear and instead focus on
feeling the fear itself and where it could be located in the body.
This way not a minute is boring.
The only problem is that sometimes the hullabaloo can get too intense.
Deep breathing can be helpful then. If even that doesn't help, I have
gradually figured out some other means to control and work through the
situation.

I need maybe 4 hours deep sleep a night; the rest of the time goes on
like this mostly. I spend in bed about 9 hours. Only occasionally I
sleep normally the whole night. I feel equally good on the daytime
both ways, but I very much prefer the processing because a lot of
healing happens that way.
When I do this processing during the nights I may feel I'm fully
awake, but that's not actually the case. If I go in between the
processing to the loo, often only the other eye opens up. The other
half feels to be calmly sleeping during the whole loo visit.

Irmeli