On 8/17/2014 8:11 AM, fleetwood_macnche...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:

I didn't realize that you were in traffic - Now I better understand your comment about feeling safe. It is odd thing, but the longer I have meditated, the more aware I become of past, present and future, at the same time, so that I am always in a safe place. It is not a matter of where I am, but simply that greater awareness, along with my conscious choices, allows me to remain in safety. Even in the midst of the greatest turmoil, it feels as if there is a nurturing presence wherever I am, a sphere of peace, and a silence. Somewhat like when I was a child, endlessly exploring, and going on great global adventures, though always with the comfortable knowledge that my dad was behind it all.

That /greater awareness/ is probably what prompted you to take a long walk in the park where it is safe instead of driving to Ferguson to see a riot taking place. Go figure.

I was on the phone when I emerged, and in a line of cars. It was really a little tense, and I would have only had a moment to end the call, (which would have been rather rude, as it was of a business nature), go to settings, then, camera,or video, and do my thing. Yes, I know I have a camera toggle on the side, but I don't typically use that, as I don't take too many pictures. and have never taken a "selfie" (-:
Pretty trippy, Steve - I hope you snuck a picture or two.
I had some business late this afternoon in north St. Louis, in the general area of Ferguson. Voyeur that I am, I decided to drive back taking the thoroughfare where all the protests were occurring. Turns out the street was closed off by police, so I took a detour, not knowing where I was going to come out. I ended up coming out exactly at ground zero. There was the burnt out Quik Trip right in front of me, and the the beauty supply store that was looted. There were probably 500 protesters marching down the street, and about 50 reporters. There was no police presence at all where the protesters were marching. They were all on the periphery. A curfew goes into effect tonight at 12. Word is, that it won't be able to be enforced. On a philosophical note, it made me wonder how far from something do you need to be to feel safe. I would say the level of tension in the whole area here is elevated. Everyone is a little on edge, but there are no problems outside the area where the protests are taking place. But, in a sense, right down the "road" is Syria, is the Gaza Strip, is Ukraine, is Africa. I guess things can be seen as closer than you think, or farther away than you think. Or something like that.
(-:

As I was pulling out, to go to Bidwell Park this morning, 7:30-ish, a guy runs by, he's about 6'5, all muscle, deep tan, floating down the sidewalk, but fast, like an antelope, with blond dreads halfway down his back. That was different. Then off to the park, 1800 acres, with lots of back country - I decide to walk the full circuit, nine or ten miles-ish, about a three hour round-trip - starting up a ridge, above a canyon, a steep and rough trail, climbing for awhile, then back down to the park trail that skirts the creek, at first a hundred feet below the trail, then eventually level with it, and back to the car.

As I hike deeper in, I bury myself in the wilderness, and the strengthening silence and heat - all encompassing. Walking for miles, into the silence, hearing my footsteps, my breathing, sweating, the strike of my hiking stick, an occasional bird chirp. Not much dirt trail, most is exposed volcanic rock, and basalt. Huge rock formations above the canyon, so old, and still here. The entire landscape is rocky, dry, ancient, and hot, and I love it. After awhile my one water bottle runs out, and I am trudging back, thirsty, and even then, getting into it. When I am almost done, a woman comes by with two dogs, a lab, and what looks like a small pony from a distance - short reddish fur, and a back that could easily carry a saddle. I nodded to her, smiled, and said, "big dog", as I walked by.

              • ... danfriedman2002
        • Re... danfriedman2002
      • [Fairf... steve.sun...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • [F... fleetwood_macnche...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]