One wonders if the two neuroscientists ever themselves commented online. They seem to be writing as if spectators to the phenomena. It goes back far beyond computers and the Internet to the days of "letters to the editor". They also take a mundane look at it and hence do not consider the "collective consciousness" of the times. If you stand back and look at society at arms length it's like stormy winds blow through the collective consciousness from time to time giving rise to all kinds of bizarre behavior.

Then there is just the fun of being anonymous online which allows more freedom of expression. After all how many Bob Browns or Mary Smiths can there be? I used to comment on HuffPo until the technically illiterate Ariana demanded people use Facebook to post so they would know who is posting. I don't do Facebook.