On 9/12/2014 12:55 PM, anartax...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:

Regarding the Kurukshetra War

The Aryan-speakers invaded South Asia and started a long battle beginning in 1500 B.C. if not before. That's why they invented the chariot to be used in battle.

Forum: alt.meditation.transcendental
Subject: Why on earth should hordes of mounted warriors have moved?
Author: will...@yahoo.com
Date: 04/07/2002
http://tinyurl.com/q2j3pgv

The BG is concerned with three constituents: rajas sattva, and tamas. The idea is to transcend these three qualities. According to MMY: /"The authorship of action does not in reality belong to the "I". It is a mistake to understand that "I" do this, "I" experience this and "I" know this. //All action is performed by the three gunas born of nature."/

The implications of these passages indicate that the nature of the mind is appreciated as it is, separate from activity. The "goal" of TM does not consist in gaining anything or reaching anything, but simply in recognizing what already is the case: that the "I" is essentially uninvolved with activity.

Here, the ONLY criterion is internal: the Self recognized as independent of action - /the causal nexus./

/"The Vedas concern is with the three gunas. Be without the three gunas O Arjuna, freed from duality, ever possesses of Self."/

---------
In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <danfriedman2...@yahoogroups.com> wrote :

You lost me at "According to Wikipedia"
---------

Well, short attention span or reading problems, huh? How about Encylopaedia Britannica:

The Mahabharata is an important source of information on the development of Hinduism between 400 BCE and 200 CE and is regarded by Hindus as both a text about dharma (Hindu moral law) and a history (itihasa, literally 'that's what happened'). Appearing in its present form about 400 CE,the Mahabharata consists of a mass of mythological and didactic material arranged around a central heroic narrative that tells of the struggle for sovereignty between two groups of cousins, the Kauravas (sons of Dhritarashtra, the descendant of Kuru) and the Pandavas (sons of Pandu). The date for the war that is the central event of the Mahabharata is much debated, but it must have taken place sometime before 500 BCE.

Or from one of the many web pages on the subject:

Incidentally, the dating of the Mahabharat War has been a matter of challenge and controversy for a century or two. European scholars have maintained that the events described in the ancient Sanskrut texts are imaginary and subsequently, the Mahabharat derived to be a fictitious tale of a war fought between two rivalries. Starting from the so called Aryan invasion into Bharat, the current Bharatiya chronology starts from the compilation of the Rigved in 1200 B.C., then come other Ved's, Mahaveer Jain is born, then Gautam Buddha lives around 585 B.C. and the rest follows. In the meantime, the Brahmanas, Samhi tas, Puranas, etc. are written and the thought contained therein is well-absorbed among the Hindu minds. Where does the Ramayan and Mahabharat fit in? Some say that the Ramayan follows Mahabharat and some opine otherwise. In all this anarchy of Indian historiography, the date of the Mahabharat (the mythical story!) ranges between 1000 B.C. to 300 B.C. Sanskrit epics were academically attacked occasionally - an attempt to disprove the authenticity of the annals noted therein. For example, the European Indologist Maxmuller, tried the interpret the astronomical evidences to prove that the observations recorded in the Hindu scriptures are imaginary, probably because it did not match the prevalent views of European historians!

  • [FairfieldLife]... wgm4u
    • [Fairfield... jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • [Fairf... danfriedman2002
            • ... danfriedman2002