On Nov 10, 2005, at 1:46 PM, Peter wrote:

--- Vaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Nov 10, 2005, at 1:08 PM, jim_flanegin wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Nov 10, 2005, at 12:28 PM, Peter wrote:

Rick, thanks for posting the files. I love the

MMY and

Nandkishore story. It reminds me of the story of

one

time MMY was at MIU in a small meeting and

suddenly he

turned to the woman assigned to take notes and

asked

her to explain how she was taking notes. She

described

to him what she was doing and he angerly said,

who

told you to do it that way? She replied, you

did! MMY

said he had not told her to do anything like

that at

all. She insisted that he had and he kept on

saying he

had not. She was finally on the verge of tears

and she

gave up and said that he hadn't told her to do

that

way. MMY said, very good and told her to

continue

doing it the way he had told her, just as she

had

described.

This is very interesting, esp. given the recent

discussion on

questionable research. What would a researcher,

who was a die-

hard

student, do if they were told by their teacher

"this is the way

it

is", even though it contradicted their

findings...? Very

interesting.

If I saw them as my teacher, I'd give up on the

teacher. If I saw

them as my Master, I'd adjust my thinking.

That's exactly what the people who drank the

kool-aid in Guyana did.

Scary.

Yes, but you bring it to an absurd extreme. I think

few would follow a "master's" directive to kill

themselves. I wouldn't care if it was a "test" or not,

I wouldn't do it. The dance with a master is as

complex as one's attachments. MMY in these examples is

just honing in for a specific attachment "kill."

Partly I was, for example there is the story in Swami Rama's biography of him jumping into a dangerous river at his master bidding.

I was also remembering the stories I heard on retreat years ago from Mike Love's tech who spent a lot of time with Mike and M. M would single him out and talk in hypnotic tones, display various siddhis, etc. ... anything to get this Buddhist to change boats. He in no uncertain terms made it clear that he wanted to control him.