Beautiful video, Salyavin. I know too little hard physics to be dangerous at
it, but I just *love* the concept of black holes, especially the notion of the
"event horizon." That's the point at which if you get too close to a black
hole, it's all she wrote. You've passed the "point of no return" and you're
going to be sucked into the black hole. There just ain't nothing you can do
about it.

My favorite use of this metaphor was created by my fave singer/songwriter Bruce
Cockburn, in one of his most-loved love songs. In "Loner," Bruce equates the
experience of gazing into his lover's eyes with the event horizon. Been there,
been sucked into that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alT19_AzXFU

[ Hugh Marsh's violin solo on this cut is one of my all-time favorites from
Bruce's work. Starting at about the 4:23 mark, just after the verses below, I
think it's simply stunning. YMMV. ]

Wild shadows, acid verbs
Eyelids opening dans mon coeur
Tu me touche comme la pression
Des etoiles sur les tenebres*
In the elevator and the empty hall
How am I ever going to hear you when you call
I'm always living and I always die
on the event horizon of your eyes
I'm a loner
With a loner's point of view
I'm a loner
And now I'm in love with you

* TRANSLATION:
Wild shadows, acid verbs
Eyelids opening in my heart
You touch me like the pressure
Of the stars on the darkness

________________________________
 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

A North Carolina professor challenges the common scientific wisdom.  If she's
right, many of the theories about the expansion of the universe would have to
be revised.  But she'll be under intense scrutiny to prove or disprove her new
idea.

Not half, there's a huge black hole at the centre of out galaxy, and pretty
much every other one. I know someone who's studying them, not that you can
directly of course but you can see the effects on material being sucked
inside.There's tons of data too, so if there is no such thing they are going to
have a lot of explaing to do. So this will be a turn up indeed!

Here's a really cool video of a really cool discovery. It tracks the path of
stars orbiting the black hole at the centre of the galaxy. Some day something
will get too close and we'll see it in action. Kaboom!

Tracking Stars Orbiting the Milky Way's Central Black Hole [720p]

       Tracking Stars Orbiting the Milky Way's Central Blac...
In a 16-year long study, using several of ESO's flagship telescopes, a team of
German astronomers has produced the most detailed view ever of the surround...
View on www.youtube.com        Preview by Yahoo