> On Nov 13, 2005, at 10:46 AM, Jason Spock wrote:
>
> > The Siddhis are the logic consequence out of TM. Look into the
> > Samyama-principle: Dharana ("fixing"), dhyana ("gliding") and
> > samadhi ("landing"). These three parameters (always) form the
> > natural movement of the mind. The result is
> > "concentrating" (ekagrata parinama). In TM you start with
fixing
> > the mantra in a repetitive manner. The emphasis is on dharana.
Due
> > to the three-guna principle the result is samadhi. In the
siddhis
> > the fixing aspect is being put into the back-ground. Emphasis is
on
> > dhyana ("coming back to the simplest form of awareness" -=
siddhi-
> > instruction). By this you pass through samadhi and end up in
> > dharana (fixation = manifestation). This is pure applicable
science
> > of mind.
>
> Siddhis, attainment of powers of all kinds, is a great
> temptation in the life of an initiate. The danger in the pursuit of
> siddhis is twofold:
>
> 1. At the slightest appearance of some hunch or some prediction
> coming through, and so forth, one begins to imagine himself as a
> siddha, an adept.
>
> 2. One becomes tied down to the desires for such powers and dreams
of
> subtle ego. One might say, "Oh, if only 1 had the power to read
> others' minds I could help many more students." But deep inside
the
> sub-conscious, there lurks the impurity which would not help the
> students but simply invade the privacy of their minds and derive
from
> these invasions certain vicarious pleasures. Or one thinks, "If
only
> 1 could predict which horse would win the lottery I could help my
> guru financially." One day I asked Swamiji,
>
> "Why do you have to ask for funds! Why do you not simply buy a
> lottery ticket on a horse you know would win?" He told me quite
> sternly, "Don't you even think of that. Work honestly with your
body.
> Work honestly to pay your karma and do not look or such easy ways
out."

> If one finds that special experiences or powers are coming one's
way,
> the injunction is to conceal them carefully and not make your
> meditation group into a gossip club, every one vying with each
other,
> everyone saying, "wait till you hear my experience!" The siddhis
are
> not in fact any kind of attainments in the sense that they are
> additions to one's personality. According to the Yoga Sutras of
> Patanjali, they are simply the unblocking of power. As one
advances
> on the path of meditation one begins to sense the presence of
these
> faculties within. There is a great temptation to sit by the
wayside
> watching this beautiful scenery of siddhis and if one does not
> resist, the path and the goal are forgotten. The recent trend in
> certain meditation circles to popularize siddhis and to sell them
for
> a certain fee, is highly frowned upon by the masters of the
Himalayas.

> -Pundit Usharbudh Arya, lineal holder of Patanjali YS tradition
and
> expert on the practice and commentaries.

And the Masters of the Himalayas, is so right.
I had a lot of "Sidhi experiences" as a child and grown-up, living
in silence in the forest - Years before I learned TM. And after I
stopped with the TM-Sidhi-techniques, they are coming back in a
natural way. All the expectations following the TM-Sidhi-teqniques -
encouraged by MMY, was not good at all, from my point of view.
Ingegerd