The most intelligent examination of AI in the entertainment world these days is
a TV show called "Person Of Interest," created by Jonathon Nolan. Nolan is the
brother of Christopher Nolan, and was co-writer of many of his big hits, such
as "The Dark Night," "The Dark Knight Rises," "The Prestige," and the short
story on which his brother's "Memento" was based. He'll also be the writer of
his brother's upcoming "Interstellar," already getting great reviews in
previews.

"Person Of Interest" made history by predicting a complex arrangement of
computers and closed-circuit TV and surveillance equipment so vast and so
uncontrolled that it could watch literally every minute of our lives.
Interestingly, Nolan did this and put it on mainstream TV *before* Snowdon blew
the whistle and revealed that the NSA had this ability in real life and was
*already* watching pretty much every moment of our lives.

The main difference in "Person Of Interest" is that the force behind all of
this uber-surveillance is "the machine," an AI developed by Harold Finch
(Michael Emerson from "Lost"). In the early seasons this AI gains sentience and
begins to help Finch and his associates keep normal people from harm. But in
the last two seasons it's taken a far darker turn, as a competing AI has
entered the picture, and now they are dueling in cyberspace, trying to
establish dominance.

It's actually a fun and entertaining series. I particularly like Amy Acker as
Root, a brilliant computer nerd/psychopath who first starts as an enemy of "the
machine" and who later becomes its disciple. Yes, disciple. It "sees all, and
knows all," so what, after all, distinguishes it from God?