In a typical move, Global Good News has simulated a reprint of this
article from the NYT, but all negative news has been deleted --
specifically, the inconclusive research on TM at the U of Michigan
noted in paragraph 19, and the student who was interested in
learning TM only until he found out it costs $2500 (next-to-last
paragraph in original NYT article):

http://tinyurl.com/89ykj

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/14/giving/14koppel.html

********************

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Ron F <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/14/giving/14koppel.html
> >

> > Earth's Future Peacemakers Just Need a Little T.M.
> >      •     Sign In to E-Mail This
> >      •     Printer-Friendly
> >      •     Save Article
> > By LILY KOPPEL
> > Published: November 14, 2005
> > DAVID LYNCH, the filmmaker known for his distorted, labyrinthine
worlds,
> > wants America's young people to clear their minds.
> > The David Lynch Foundation for Consciousness-Based Education and
World Peace,
> > formed in July, is raising money to bring Transcendental
Meditation to
> > students from first grade through college. Mr. Lynch's vision
involves raising $7
> > billion and creating universities dedicated to earth's future
peacemakers.
> > "Diving within" to the "energy" and "bliss" is how Mr. Lynch,
who has been
> > meditating for 30 of his 59 years, puts it. He hopes "diving
within" will be
> > standard in every student's curriculum.
> > "Pouring water on this root, these kids," he
said. "Enlightenment is the
> > fulfillment of the most exquisite machine on earth. Any human
being can visit it.
> > Anything that is a thing emerges from this thing."
> > Mr. Lynch's explanations are certainly imaginative, a film of
his mind: "The
> > word transcending is the key to it, to the very deepest, most
profound eternal
> > level"; "It's not a joke. It's a thing that works. Mankind is
not meant to
> > suffer"; "This is an ocean of bliss. It's like grabbing onto the
biggest elec
> > trical line filled with bliss."
> > Mr. Lynch, who is working on a film "Inland Empire," practices
T.M. 20
> > minutes twice a day by sitting in a comfortable position,
closing his eyes and
> > repeating a mantra. He says it allows him to enjoy "the doing of
things" more.
> > "If somebody is a filmmaker, they get rid of things like deep
fear, anxiety,
> > frustration," he said of meditation's benefits. "It's the real
deal. The whole
> > enchilada. You will fall deeper into the film."
> > Notoriously reclusive, Mr. Lynch has come on stage to spread
> > Consciousness-Based Education with fall speaking tours to
universities on the East
> > and West
> > coasts. "I really think it will change the world," he
said. "It's all
> > imagination."
> > The Lynch Foundation, with assets of about $410,000, has awarded
so far
> > $25,000 each in seed money to seven schools, three public
charter schools, three
> > public schools and one private school for children with learning
disabilities,
> > all of which requested help. Only two of the charter schools
agreed to discuss
> > their meditation program publicly because the other five schools
were involved
> > in research studies related to T.M., the foundation said.
> > "We have not gotten so much yet," Mr. Lynch said. "But there are
indications
> > that we are going to do really well."
> > Several of the seven schools received matching grants from other
foundations
> > and philanthropists who partnered with the Lynch Foundation.
> > "He is going to revolutionize education in America," said Dr.
George H.
> > Rutherford, principal of the Ideal Academy Public Charter
School, an elementary
> > and
> > middle school in Washington.
> > Dr. Rutherford said that many foundations call to donate
computers, but what
> > he needs is Transcendental Meditation so that the students can
concentrate
> > better to use the equipment. "T.M. helps to reduce the stress
that creates
> > problems," he said.
> > A meditation component is written into Ideal's charter, which
was approved by
> > the Board of Education and the Charter Association, both in
Washington.
> > Researchers at the Maharishi University of Management in
Fairfield, Iowa, will
> > measure the effects.
> > To train teachers and fifth- and sixth-grade students, Ideal
received $75,000
> > - $25,000 from the Lynch Foundation and a larger partnering gift
from Jeffrey
> > F. Abramson, a principal in a Washington real estate company and
the Abramson
> > Family Foundation, a founder of the United States Holocaust
Memorial Museum.
> > After completing training, homeroom teachers will lead
meditation, a new age
> > variation on the Pledge of Allegiance.
> > Training is led by instructors from the Maharishi Vedic
Education Development
> > Corporation, also in Fairfield, Iowa. The seven-step program
costs $2,500 a
> > student.
> > Last month, a Lynch Foundation's gift of $25,000 went to the
Nataki Talibah
> > Schoolhouse of Detroit, a public charter school, which
previously received T.M.
> > financing from the DaimlerChrysler Corporation Fund and the
General Motors
> > Foundation.
> > The Lynch gift of meditation was for Nataki seventh- and eighth-
grade
> > students who worked as a nonmeditating control group in a 2002
study tracking the
> > "social-emotional competencies" of the meditating students
conducted by Rita
> > Benn, director of the Education Center of the Center for
Complementary and
> > Alternative Medicine at the University of Michigan and a
clinical psychologist.
> > The
> > study was inconclusive, but the students in the group wanted to
experience what
> > their peers had felt.
> > Carmen N'Namdi, a co-founder and the principal of Nataki and
vice chairwoman
> > of the board of the National Charter Schools Institute, said
that just a few
> > of her parents connected T.M., a secular practice, with
religion, and she
> > anticipated none would question Mr. Lynch's artistic work.
> > The Lynch Foundation is partnering with other philanthropists to
grant
> > another $25,000 to the University of Michigan, Yale, Emerson
College and other
> > colleges to help train students in meditation. On Mr. Lynch's
recent visit to East

> > Coast schools, he was a draw for film students and seekers
alike. Mr. Lynch,
> > Mr. Abramson and others are also supporting an American
University study on
> > T.M. on college students.
> > David Jacobson, 22 , a senior film student, attended Mr. Lynch's
T.M. lecture
> > at New York University. He said he was there because he admired
Mr. Lynch's
> > films. After hearing that two of his biggest heroes, Mr. Lynch
and Roy Orbison,
> > once meditated together, he said he got curious about T.M. until
he learned
> > from the Maharishi Institute that the full training cost $2,500.
> > "I feel like this is part of something big he is doing," said
Mr. Jacobson,