From: "s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>

To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, November 7, 2014 6:42 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Movie mini-review: "Interstellar"

Re "the real "lesson" being taught in this film is that humans are pretty much
fucked unless some unspecified someone/something (be it alien or theistic)
provides a mystical Woo Woo way to save us.":

Which, interestingly, is also the message of 2001. One big difference between
2001 and this movie (judging by your comments) is that the characters in
Interstellar have emotional issues whereas in 2001 the characters have no
emotional affect at all - which is what helps give Kubrick's film a hypnotic
quality.

Very perceptive comment, s3raphita. I am so NOT a big Kubrick fan, for this
very issue. In real life, he was human-phobic, terrified of flying or being in
close proximity to his fellow humans. IMO, this shows in his work. As you point
out, "2001" can be viewed as "Humans in space...uh...without the humans."  :-)

I've figured out one of the reasons I was not knocked out by the movie, BTW --
deus ex machina.

Given the basic plot (which I will not reveal), the real "lesson" being taught
in this film
is that humans are pretty much fucked unless some unspecified someone/something
(be it alien or theistic) provides a mystical Woo Woo way to save us.

I think this is dumb, on pretty much all levels. It's like Nabby, waiting for
Maitreya. It's a belief system that actually *prevents* humans from taking
steps to save themselves.