I've taken some shit here in the past for liking this show. I warn you in
advance you that this has not diminished my affection for it, so I'm here to
rave about it again.

*Other than* considering criticism of this show the petty sniping of less
talented writers than Aaron Sorkin (uh...pretty much everybody), I've never
really understood why people dump on it as much as they do. At least liberals.
We all know why conservatives and neo-crypto-fascists dump on it.

I am a real fan of what Sorkin has done in the three and a half seasons this
show has been on the air. I think the writing has been just fuckin' SUPERB, and
that the direction and performances by actors have been of the same caliber.
The American airwaves haven't seen this much fast, snappy dialogue since
"Moonlighting," and before that in the cinema, since the classic Tracy-Hepburn
films.

As an unapologetic fan, I just wanted to post a short, drive-by thumbs up for
this series, in case anyone feels inspired to check it out.

Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, and Sam Waterston just ROCK as the principal
leads, and there is simply no finer cast of supporting players on television
anywhere on the planet. I don't think there is a weak or uninteresting actor in
their midst, and there is at least one veritable superstar. I tune in every
week just on the off chance that the character portrayed by Jane Fonda will
appear. Whenever she does, it's almost automatically an Emmy moment.

The writing is equally "hang ten" for me, both in terms of politics and writing
excellence. "The Newsroom" is a veritable tour de force. If you hadn't noticed,
Aaron Sorkin has been the principal writer of every single episode, in addition
to his duties as showrunner. The latest episodes echo the very real
pseudo-reality that journalists work within in these post-Snowdon days. I think
he's doing incredible work, both as a writer and as a social activist. Your
mileage may vary. This was the opening scene to the series. Many think it's
gone downhill since then. I'm not one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zqOYBabXmA

        • Re... waybac...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • Re... waybac...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]