Judy Stein writes:
No, I'm not assuming that.  But if you're referring
to entering turiya, then "paralysis," as noted, doesn't
make any sense.  In turiya, there is no awareness *of*
anything but awareness itself.  Turiya is not object-
oriented consciousness; there are no objects of
perception (subjective, as of paralysis, or objective)
in turiya.

I *think* what you're describing is not turiya but an
integrated state, what TM would call "witnessing," in
meditation.  But then your comment above that I wasn't
describing turiya makes no sense.

Tom T writes:
It has been my experience that the beginning stages of witnessing were
that of paralysis. Not only was there paralysis but there was
knowledge that I was trapped inside this body and a good deal of fear.
There was enough fear at the beginning to awaken in a cold sweat.  As
I became accustomed to this awareness of awareness the fear stopped
and the understanding became clear that I was wide awake inside but
had zero connection to the outside world. Gradually the awareness grew
to include the outside world and encompass it and then it became clear
that awareness does not need the senses to know beyond the body.  Then
I could be awake inside and watch dreams start, run their course and
then stop and still I was wide awake inside totally sitting in the
darkness and silence. It no longer mattered whether the conventional
senses worked because the awareness was larger than this body. The
most common awareness was that of the same old bedroom, the same old
bed and the same old guy lying on the bed snoring his brains out. This
gradually led to the ramping down of the bedroom and allowing that to
be like background noise that is just there and doesn't need any
attending to. After a longer period I have realized that the awareness
has encompassed a fairly large amount of creation and that also just
runs in the background like music in the background. There but not
demanding all my attention. Tom