As soon as one stops anticipating higher states of consciousness then they will easily come. Maybe because I was always struggling for income until the 1990s, enlightenment was not at the top of my priorities list. In fact I recall MMY saying "survival first, enlightenment second."

And he also had this little joke about people being told that God was coming and they all so obsessed with the idea he was coming that they missed the plane he was on. :-D