> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
<snip>
> > What I'm living is ignorance.
>
> With all due respect, what you're trying to
> *perpetuate* is ignorance.

Yeah, that's bullshit.

> You're trying to FIGURE IT ALL OUT, to come
> up with some intellectual understanding of
> enlightenment without benefit of the subjective
> experience.

No, I'm not.  I'm making a very, VERY simple
statement: Ignorance is in some respect not like
enlightenment.  I've long since ceased to try to
figure anything else out about enlightenment.

> Give it up.  Ain't gonna happen.
> Personally, I think that your clinging to the
> notion that you CAN understand it all

Well, I've now said at *least* five times that
I don't know what enlightenment is like.  You're
simply not paying attention because you're more
interested in finding a way to put me down.

<snip>
> I'm trying to give you the straight poop, as
> it appears to me.  You keep rejecting it, tell-
> ing me from your point of view as someone who
> has never had a clear experience of enlighten-
> ment that what I (who *have* had such exper-
> iences) say is all wrong.

And of course you would be the first to say, in
any other context, that anything one can *say*
about enlightenment is automatically wrong.

You have said two contradictory things: that
enlightenment is exactly like ignorance, and
that it's not exactly like ignorance.  The only
part of this I'm rejecting is the "exactly like"
part; and the only thing I'm asserting is that
in some respect, enlightenment is not exactly
like ignorance.

Everything else you've said, I haven't objected
to.  I don't know if it's "right" or not, but I
have no basis for saying it's "all wrong."

Oh, and one other thing, your claim that I've never
had a clear experience of enlightenment.  I *have*
had clear experiences of witnessing, and I would
describe it just as you did, "awareness of eternality
being more foreground than background."

And that experience is in some respect different
from the experience of ignorance.

<snip>
> I've tried to tell you what I've come up with
> after 20 years or so of trying to make sense
> of enlightenment experiences.  You keep reject-
> ing what I say, and clinging to the illusion
> that you CAN intellectually understand a
> phenomenon that transcends intellectual under-
> standing.

If you were paying any attention instead of trying
to think up putdowns, you'd know that that is
precisely what I'm *not* doing.

> <snipping all the rest of Judy's attempts to
> intellectually grasp the greased pig of enlight-
> enment>  :-)

All the rest of which consists of saying, *in toto*,
that enlightenment is in some respect not like
ignorance.  Not that it may not be like ignorance
in other respects, but that there is *some respect*
in which it is NOT like ignorance.  Period.