 Yes again to what you say.
 I think my differentiation between "a loss of sense of self" versus
"overcoming selfish behaviour" is reflected in the difference between
traditions like Zen which highlight that instant zap of satori versus Christian
tradition which emphasizes a long-term practice of self-discipline.

 They are not ultimately in conflict. The Zen monk who has a sudden awakening
would then allow that insight to gradually percolate into his life over time
and alter his old patterns of behaviour. The Christian pilgrim hopefully
eliminates much selfish conditioning and is finally rewarded at the end with a
"mystical" vision.

 Yes, I see your point.  As long as the "sudden awakening" isn't assumed to be
the end-goal, when in likelihood, it is just probably a "call to action" of one
sort or another. (Just guessing here).  Also, I don't know that the reward for
the for working on one's self-centered nature as human being in the Christian
tradition is necessarily a "mystical" vision, but perhaps just a happier, more
fulfilled, life.

 Each approach has something to recommend it and each has its own specific
dangers. Perhaps the kind of traumatic events you refer to (the death of a
loved one, say) can be better absorbed by someone on the Christian path.

 I can't say.  I think cultural context plays a big role.  As they say, "there
are many paths to awareness."  :)

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emily.mae50@...> wrote :

 Hence why it could be true that an "ego-loss" trip doesn't bring emotional
maturity or relational ability and may, in fact, impede it.  And, hence, why
the "flash" of any spiritual experience or sudden awareness doesn't eliminate
(in virtually all cases) what is usually painful work to realize any real
change within that can be evidenced in a change in behavior and approach
towards people and life.

 Existential crisis or difficult circumstances where one loses a close loved
one, or suffers a life-changing injury or illness or financial ruin on a large
scale or other "disasters" are often required for some to really take a look at
the nature of one's self-centeredness.

 Re "First there was an increase in a sense of abstract self, kind of like
being empty space, a very inward experience. However the abstract nature of it
is not the sense of self that ego is.":

 Yes. But to supplement what you are saying, I think there is often a confusion
between, on the one hand, a "loss of sense of self" - which relates to our
persona/identity/ego - and, on the other hand, overcoming our "character"
traits which are built up by our habits. You can have "spiritual" experiences
in which you completely lose any sense of personal identity but you still carry
on behaving in much the same way as before as your conditioning is still
functioning in the background.

 That is why many people who have had a genuine ego-loss trip mistakenly
believe they are now enlightened, whereas the really tough part of awakening
(overcoming our self-centred behaviours) is a more long-term and painful
process.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 Lawson,

 I think this is 'incorrect'. My experience from practising TM exclusively
until very recently had the following effects: First there was an increase in a
sense of abstract self, kind of like being empty space, a very inward
experience. However the abstract nature of it is not the sense of self that ego
is. It is more like you become inner awareness only, there is a break with the
ego sense of self. The sense of self that one experiences in total ignorance is
not what is strengthened. Maybe if you are a narcissist and you believe that is
what's happening, the ego sense of self gets a rush out of that, and uses that
to foster its self love. Even without being a narcissist, the sense of ego
still dominates the mind just as before, just that awareness is felt to be
separate from it. So if you were a prick in waking, you can still be a prick in
CC.

 Following the abstract sense of inner 'self' being established, that fades
away and the sense of space moves into the environment, almost invisibly. The
contrast of inner and outer diminishes until, one day, whatever you were as an
ego is gone as the centre of the mind's conceptual experience, it shifts to a
peripheral role and being takes the centre stage, not as the centre of
experience, because it has no centre or location; it is equally inside and
outside as every aspect of life, and it is impersonal, it is not individuality
or self-like by any means. This is what TM did to me. Now though, mindfulness
is quite nice to practise because basically that is what is happening
experientially anyway.

 For me I felt TM was superior at the starting gate, I tried mindfulness but
did not like it then, but my sense of individuality at that time might be
different from someone else's, after all those kinds of differences are the
hallmark of individuality. So your analysis, I think, is just semantics recast
as an actual difference. The same thing happens either way, with mindfulness or
TM, but I think a lot of people would prefer TM at the beginning. Both
techniques have proven successful. At the end, either way, everything is what
'you' are but it is kind of misleading to call it a 'self': that is the
language of a particular time and place. Using the word 'self' is less
threatening to the sense one is an ego, than the term 'no-self'. 'Self' is how
you can look at it from the starting gate, and no-self is how the same thing
looks from the finish line. A friend of mind once taught a young woman TM. Here
first experience was 'there was just nothing', and nothing is a stretch to call
'self'. The association with the word 'self' is assured if that is the only
terminology you use. But one has a choice of conceptual models with which to
interpret experience because none of them are really true, they are metaphors
to help the mind navigate new experiences. Advaita vendanta is also no-self,
but uses the Vedic/Hindu terminology of self. I think it's a crappy word to
use, but it is traditional, and it appeals to individual pride.

 In my case, TM also disrupted the sense of self, because all you really are is
awareness; the idea you are a self at the beginning and all the way through was
a lie to begin with, so it is a terminology you can easily dispense with at
some point.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <LEnglish5@...> wrote :

 With respect to mindfulness practices, it is becoming more and more accepted
by the scientific community that they disrupt brain mechanisms responsible for
sense-of-self.

 Conversely, it is  becoming more and more established that TM's main [perhaps
only universally consistent] effect is to strengthen--and make
abstract--sense-of-self.

 This means that given the interpretation of the Buddha's teachings concerning
"not-self," mindfulness invariably leads to a [modern, Wesetern] Buddhist
orientation towards life, literally on a physiological level.

 Likewise, TM's strengthening of sense-of-self can be seen to physically
support the _advaita vedanta_ variety advocated by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, again
literally on a physiological level.

 This last is hardly surprising as it was Maharishi's stated intent to
introduce a single universal technique--TM--that would encapsulate the whole of
his guru's _advait vedanta_ teachings.

 Xeno:
Mindfulness meditation pretty much has successfully been divorced from its
religious roots, unlike TM, but it is interesting if you get right into what
meditation is really about, it is difficult to avoid some kind of religious
thinking or thinking that runs parallel to religious ideas. If you read Sam
Harris' latest book, even though he is a non-theist, a neuroscientist, he was
unable to not mention something of Buddhism, rather frequently. As soon as you
start believing the mental constructs surrounding meditation, or believing
mental constructs you make up yourself to explain it to yourself or others, you
begin to slip into religious territory. There is something of an invisible
ghost in the works when you get down to the ultimate value of meditation As
long as you just have a testable hypothesis and that is how you always regard
it, you might be safe from being in, or creating a religion.

This is well stated. But I believe(!) that there is always 'an invisible ghost'
there somewhere, working in the background, if you work with religious concepts
or not. That is, and I know that I have some strong opposition here, also for
atheists and non-theists, as it is impossible to be without any conditioning.
To 'be without conditioning' is btw just another spiritual concept. In all of
this, I smell some sense of puristic spirit. Where does it come from? May be
from the initiators of the 'age of aufklärung (enlightenment)' like Kant etc.,
who clearly improved our civilisation. And earlier than this, there is
iconoclast reformatory movement of Martin Luther, a predecessor of all
revolutions.

Everything we know, supported by science or not, is always in our mind, and
much of the fundamental conditioning of the mind is not seen. If you are free
from the mind, in the sense of non-attachment, you may hold any number of
spiritual concepts in your mind, but you are only partially identified with the
mind itself. So it comes back to the same old, being free means being detached,
IMO. If you know this, you may adopt the concepts that serve you best, knowing
well their relativity. I am not talking of a scientist here, but of normal
human beings. Scientists will of course adopt theories, which explain their
data best.

              • ... lengli...@cox.net [FairfieldLife]
              • ... aryavazhi
              • ... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]