You are not even making any sense.

Company computers purchased for employees don't even come with software
installed on them, or if they do, it's wiped clean by in-house IT professionals
and their own OS and software programs are installed remotely running Norton
Campus Edition.

We have over 5,000 Dell workstations on the community college campus and we do
this all the time. Only consumers buy computers at stores or online and use the
software installed by OEMS.

P.S. Thanks for the info on the Ubuntu Linux. Any nerd worth his salt will
always be building his or her own machine with off-the shelf parts and booting
from a disc for the OS install on an SSD.

 I would expect such on a company computer.  That's why I always bought my own
PCs for my private use.  I am running Ubuntu Studio 12.04 on this machine
because their attempt to be more user friendly with the regular version was way
too developer unfriendly.  I would have installed Mint Linux but  that would
have been a complete re-installation whereas going from Ubuntu 10 to 12 was
smooth.

 A decade or so ago I upgraded my Windows XP Pro machine with a new CPU and
motherboard.  You have to jump through some hoops to do that such as a
procedure to kill the Windows license for the old machine.  I need to update
the CPU on this machine so that Android emulators can use it.  The current AMD
processor lacks some instructions for that to work though the BIOS supports it.
 With Linux you can just pop in a new CPU and are good to go, no hassles.

 There was an article this week about how many folks are working on the Linux
kernel and how user friendly it IS beginning to be.  There are people I've
recommended Linux to because they are constantly having to reformat their drive
and re-install because they are careless about opening strange emails or
visiting some sites.