Addressing the important issues!

Everyone knows that the burial of the dead is as old as Neanderthals, if not
earlier. According to what I've read, the earliest undisputed human burial,
discovered so far, dates back 100,000 years. Barry, have you ever considered
reading an anthropology book?

You have added bupkis, nada, zero to this subject, except to demonstrate how
ignorant and prejudiced you are in your old age. Not for nothing do people in
all ages the world over bury their dead - it is a sacred undertaking.

You did bury your dead parents and brother, right? Go figure.

 Although I have never read anything about this practice, I can imagine where
it came from -- self-created "holy relics." Religious nuts in Asia were as
crazy about relics as their Western counterparts. Think back to the booming
business in "pieces of the true cross" and "the bones of Jesus." I personally
have seen the supposed skull of Mary Magdalene in a reliquary in a cathedral in
the south of France. ( Trust me, she's looked better. :-)

 Well, Eastern churches a few centuries back were no different than they are
today -- they were looking for things to get newbies in the doors so they'd 1)
become believers themselves and 2) leave the contents of their wallets there
when they left. What better relic than the nearly-perfectly-preserved body of a
monk seated in meditation, that they could show off to newbies to convince them
their practices were so hot that this guy just went into samadhi one day and
never got up.

 And the thing is, you're dealing with religious fanatics, so there would be no
need to *force* the monks into starving themselves to death -- they'd do it
willingly just to "spread the faith."

 This is all just a guess on my part, but if anyone feels motivated to do any
research on it, I'd be willing to bet you'll find similar speculations on the
part of scholars.

 In other words, s3raphita, I don't think it's a Buddhist thang at all. It's a
"preserve the illusion that our teaching is cooler than it really is" thang.
Religious fanatics do this kind of shit all the time. Just think about how many
years Tony Nader pretended to be the ultimate purusha celibate because
Maharishi wanted him to pretend to be. To do this, he had to lie to almost
literally *everyone in his life*, including his best friends and co-Rajas.
People will do *anything* in the name of their beliefs if those beliefs have
been implanted in them deeply enough.