"Whiplash" is the little movie you've been hearing a bit about lately
after J, K. Simmons won an Oscar, Golden Globe, BAFTA and Screen Actors
Guild Award for best supporting actor.  This is a film that Turq will
probably hate but Card will love.  It's about an abusive jazz band
instructor at a music conservatory and young drummer who locks horns
with him.  As a drummer myself and former drum teacher I had to see this
film which is now available on DVD.

The writer/director Damien Chazelle based the story on his experience
with an abusive high school band director.  Frankly, I don't like the
idea of turning music into sports like competitions. Back in my day
these competitions were never as intense as portrayed in the film.  That
said I sorta understand what Simmons character was trying to do though
when teaching I approached it slightly different.  My students were
really never aware that they had easily been trained to a high level so
even if they didn't perform well they still performed above average.

One thing I found strange was that the Simmons character never suggest
how to play very fast tempo tunes.  Jazz band directors will count off
very fast tunes as a beat per measure.  That even threw me off when I
once sat in with the big band my brother played in.  I was of course
playing at half or a quarter of what was wanted.  The trick though is to
think of each measure at fast tempos as a group of 4 eighth notes.  The
mind seems to grasp that more easily.  The second trip was to hit the
ride cymbal on 2 and 4 and it bounce into the 1 and 2.  Much easier than
trying to specifically play the ride pattern.  Also what bothered me
about the film was a real no-no in playing: straining.   It's one thing
and a piece of showmanship to make it look what you are doing is very
hard (even though it is often very simple).  But to actually strain is
reduce one's stamina which will be needed through an evening of playing.

Anyway I got a kick out of the film but it may not do for school jazz
bands what the movie "Drumline" did for school marching bands a decade
ago.  BTW, there is now a sequel out for that film.