Senate approves open carry on party-line vote
 6:21 p.m. Monday, March 16, 2015 |

The Texas Senate gave initial approval Monday to a bill allowing for holstered
handguns to be openly carried, turning aside a flurry of amendments from
Democrats in a series of party-line votes.
On a 20-11 vote, the Senate’s Republicans approved Senate Bill 17, with final
passage likely for Tuesday, the same day a House committee will hold its first
public hearing on a similar measure.
Also Tuesday, the Senate will hold its initial vote on a second gun measure,
allowing concealed handguns in college and university buildings.
SB 17 would allow those with a concealed handgun license to openly carry
firearms in a shoulder or belt holster. The bill also would let business owners
forbid openly carried handguns on their premises by displaying prominent signs.
“We have about 800,000 concealed handgun license holders in this state that I
feel like have been vetted and trained and can be trusted,” said the bill’s
author, Sen. Craig Estes, R-Wichita Falls.
“I believe in freedom,” Estes said. “The question we should ask is not why can
they (openly carry handguns), but why are they forbidden from doing this?”
Sen. John Whitmire, D-Houston, said the bill was a solution in search of a
problem.“What are you really trying to accomplish today? Help me,” Whitmire
said. “The really, really average Texan does not understand the relevance of
your proposals (or see) how they would make Texas a better place to work or
live.”
The 20 Senate Republicans turned aside Democratic amendments that would have
banned openly carried guns in city halls or within 1,000 feet of public parks.

Democrats also failed in attempts to allow cities and counties to opt in or opt
out of the state’s open carry law or to require those openly carrying handguns
to also display their concealed handgun license as an aid to police
officers.Whitmire offered an amendment banning open carry in the Capitol,
warning that the large number of schoolchildren who visit would be put at risk
if a “disturbed person” grabbed an available gun from a holster.“It’s not if
it’s going to happen, it’s when,” Whitmire said, his voice rising to a shout.
“You’re making a huge mistake.”
Calling Whitmire’s fears far-fetched, Estes said he did not want to exempt the
Capitol from a law that other government offices will have to follow.Monday’s
vote came on the first day the Senate could vote on a bill that had not been
declared an emergency by Gov. Greg Abbott.Estes amended his bill to delay
implementation until Jan. 1, 2016, saying the

Department of Public safety asked for the four-month delay to help it
prepare.Estes also accepted amendments from Sen. Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo,
requiring that handgun license instruction include information on retention
holsters and techniques to securely carry handguns, and one from Sen. Joan
Huffman, R-Houston, clarifying that open carry would not be allowed in
buildings or public areas of college campuses.
SB 17 would not change the requirements to receive a concealed handgun license,
and a current license holder would not have to reapply to openly carry a
handgun.